Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is this soldier Royal Flying Corps?

nsaspdin

I wanted to identify this soldier found in some family papers, the post card being from a Paris photographer. It was only when I came to scan the photo for GWF and scan the shoulder badge at very high resolution that I think I can read or imagine.... **flying...corps...so maybe I have part answered my own question. I would be grateful for confirmation of my consclusion, and as I know nothing about the uniform, is there anything else you may add by way of interest? What is the other small badge on his right arm? Are his shoes issue or personal? Is there any clue to rank or commission?

Thanks..... Nigel Aspdin

post-10630-1214560760.jpg

Can't help on the boots or the badge but that is certainly an RFC "maternity" jacket as it was referred to and the shoulder badge confirms this.

Yes he is Royal Flying Corps, the boots look private purchase, the rank on his sleeve is I think to signify he is an LAC, leading aircraftsman (!) I am sure I will be picked up by an expert.

He has the look of a Public school chap, with an air of iregularity and flair!

Rob

His opened topped holster is certainly in line with being RFC.

He also has a lack of wings..be it for an observer or a pilot.

His badge looks like 1st Class Air Mechanic... 2 bladed propeller....see below:

post-1599-1214568363.jpg

There ought to be clues in the pince-nez and the pistol. Would the pince-nez bar him from flying? The pistol then might suggest a messenger/despatch rider. I think the badge was an airscrew and we are seeing the blades.

RAF service papers are in AIR 79 at Kew, they are in service number order. AIR 78 contains a partial alphabetical index.