Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery, 19th Siege Bty

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

Trying to find out where and which battle this unit would of been involved in about 7/5/1917. I have the CWGC record for Cpl E. Brind ser no. 16716 who is buriedat BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL Cemetery. He is one of the fallen that i am trying to research from my town here in Oxfordshire.

Many thanks for any help.

Mike

On 7 May 17 the 19th Siege Battery was attached to the 49th Heavy Artillery Group, RGA from 31 May 17 to 1 July 17. Unfortunately the War Diary for the battery has not been traced for the period after July 1916. The war diary of the 49th HAG, RGA is available at WO95/544 and might just yield some information. According to Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19, RH & RFA, RGA 16716 Cpl. Ernest Brind, was born at Didcot, Berks and enlisted at the same place. He died of wounds on 7 May 17. The fact that he died of wounds on that date does not mean he was wounded then; he could have been wounded at a much earlier date. Regards. Dick Flory

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Dick,

Many thanks for the imformation. I'll try to find something from the PRO. Do you know if this imformation would be online? Again many thanks

Mike

As far as I know none of the information is on line; you will have to visit the PRO. Regards. Dick