Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cemetries Started in Aug/Sep 1914 - Mons Area

andy66

Hi everyone[/size] Does anyone have or know where I could view a map (on-line) that contains the locations of Cemetries around the Mons area? I am trying to locate Soldiers who were with 2nd Battalion The Duke of Wellingtons, West Riding Regiment who were killed August/September 1914 on the withdrawl from Mons. I know Hautrage Military Cemetery contains a large number but was wandering it there were others nearby. Any help or guidance anyone may have would be gratefully received. Kind regards Andy

• Admin

Hi Andy

Not a map, but looking Through a book called The Silent Cities, cemeteries listed with 1914 burials are

Mons Communal

Cuesmes Communal

Frameries Communal

St Symphorien

Audregnies Communal

Elouges Communal

Fontaine Au Pire Communal

Esnes Communal

Haucourt Communal

Bethencourt Communal

Caudry Old Communal

Le Cateau Communal

Le Catueau Military

Landrecies Communal

More on the Marne but if you cross reference the CWGC site

http://www.cwgc.org/default.asp

You may find some Dukes.

Regards, Michelle

Could be challenging. Its possible to download the locations of war cemeteries for GPS from a thread in the technology section, and I think that there may also be a download into Google Earth, not sure whether then latter is complete. Off line the CWGC publish a tiny map booklet showing all the Western Front cemeteries.

Keith

Hi Michelle

Thanks for the list and the 'silent cities' book hint. I 'googled' it and ended up at a website follow up to the book so thank you. Being slightly geographicaly challenged and new to this area or research is a challenge but a very enjoyable one. I am still amazed at the helpfullness of the people on here.

Thanks again

Andy

CWGC will supply you with a list of all men of the 2nd Duke's and the locations of their burials. They used to do this, anyway. For example I got a listing of all the South Staffords. They do charge for this, but it will save you months. Why not email them?

Thanks Keith

I was on google earth earlier and found Hauterage through my memory of visiting there a 15 yeas ago. Thats when I thought to ask here to see if there were any maps or mapping sites that may allready have all the cemetery sites on.

I am pretty new to researching in this area so I will work on this some more.

Cheers for the help it's much appreciated

Andy

Chris

That sounds like an excellent idea I will do that.

Cheers

Andy

If you are just after a couple of months it might be an idea to ask if anybody who has the Soldiers Died CD can run a search for 2nd Battalion deaths during August and September and post the list of names.

Then you can check them on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and find the names of the cemeteries you want that way. One you have the names you can find the locations on a map.

One of the men killed at Mons (James Edwin Lunn) lived just down the road from me.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

Once again I am in your debt, I will give it a try.

I see that James Edwin Lunn was KIA on the 23.08.14 and has a special memorial in Hautrage Military Cemetery My grandfather's grave is in the same cemetery close to the special memorials but has 'Buried near this spot' on his headstone he was KIA the following day (24.08.1914).

I have been a bit intrigued as since I started my research. I have found a few discrepancies in dates of death between CWGC and from other reference material. Pte's Shellebear and Ryder (both 2Bn DWR) are mentioned in seperate articles as being killed on the 23.08.14 but are listed as died 24.08.14 on CWGC. Do you think this is worth persuing?

I was wondering how the cemeteries were initially set up etc. Maybe my newness at this sort of research is geting the better of me?

Thanks again Tony

Kind regards

Andy

done it for you 59 casualties for the 2nd bn although one is buried in ireland. vast majority are buried in the cemetery that you mentioned but others are buried in the following cemeterys

vailly british cemetery

vauxbuin french national cemetery

rosny-sous-bois communal cemetery

warquignies communal cemetery

la ferte-sous- jouarre memorial

hope this is of some use to you although i don't know the locations of the cemeterys all casualties died between 04/08/1914 and 30/09/1914

Hi Izzy

I was going to ask what geoff's was but googled it and found the search engine.....

Thank you....!!!

Hi Bob

Would it be unusual to find a discrepency in dates of death between CWGC and the SDGW?

Kind regards

Andy