Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Leonard Nuttall 25/06/1916

NeilEvans

A few of the pals may recall Leonards story and my attempt to uncover his life.

This is what i know.

Leonard was born in Maidstone Kent in 1882, his Parents Henry Nuttall and Mary Jane Nuttall (Nee Dideridge) worked there as teachers for a short spell. Henry and Mary originally came from Sandbach Cheshire, although they worked and lived in Birmingham and Northampton.

Leonard was one of 4 children, however his father died in 1885. The family then returned to Cheshire, where his mother remarried and became Mary Jane Brereton.

The family eventually settled down in Llandrynog, North Wales, before moving to Bodelwyddan when a teching post became available for Leonards sisters. Subsequently the whole family moved to Bodelwyddan. He resided at St. Asaph Lodge in the ground of Bodelwyddan Castle with his mother from around 1905.

At the outbreak of war he was employed as a Colliery Checkwayman, for reasons unknown he enlisted in Neath, South Wales, under the name John Leonard Nuttall.

Quickly he was promoted to a Corporal in the 9th Btn Welsh Regiment, and entered france with his battalion in July 1915, the battalion took part in the first day of fighting at the battle of Loos. It was here my, grand father informs me, he was wounded or suffered from shell shock.

He was treated at Kinmel Camp North Wales, and having 'recovered' he was promoted to a Lance Sergeant in the 12th training battalion (Welsh Regiment). It was rather fortunate that he recieved a posting and possible treatment a mere 5 minute walk from his home.

The story now becomes quite dark, on Sunday June 25th 1916, he travelled to Bryn Elwy Woods, St. Asaph and commited sucide by hanging.

I've no idea why, my grand father was informed it was 'shell shock' and that he had recieved a date to go back to the front, that prompted him to take his own life. He is Buried in the grounds of Bodelwyddan Church.

His MiC and Death Certificate states he commited suicide whilst Temporarily Insane! I should go and find the coroners inquest report, but there is a part of me that doesn't want to.

Such a tragic end to a brave man,

A Hero none the less

November 2006

Rest in Peace Leonard