Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G.H. Read. Leicestershire Rgt

igorstoner

Hello

I hope you can help.my grandfather GEORGE . HAROLD . READ. Served with the Leicester Regiment his service number was 9097 he joined up long before the start of WW1.I would be grateful for any information from the attached photos, is it possible to tell which unit or battalion or any possible rank.

Thanks

post-1-1077119962.jpg

The first photograph marks him as a private and the crossed axes, a member of the pioneer section or platoon.

The second photograph I would suggest, was taken around 1908. I am not an expert on web equipment , but there appears to be 1908 equipment hanging above the bed. The helmet with its protective cover, appears to be the Cloth or Home Service Helmet, which was worn between 1878 and just before the outbreak of WW1 with the uniform that appears in photo one, along with the white belt and pouch. This would have been his best uniform or "full dress". The "biscuit" mattress and bed that folded up into a chair, was common in pre-WW1 barracks. At a guess I would say he was serving in one of the regular battalions, either first or second.

Out of interest, the Leicesters didn't become "Royal" until 1946.

Terry Reeves

I have searched the medal rolls but could find no record, but i understand that not all the records are online yet,i have written to the leicester records office who were very interested in photo number 2 a copy of this is now in their museum,but they could offer no further help.

thanks for your help.

Am I right in assuming that you think your man served in WW1? If he was a regular soldier, as seems likely, he would have also had a reserve commitment. This may have taken him into the First World War. In that case his service papers would have continued into that period assuming that they survived. These may, or may not, be found in the series WO 363 or 364 at the National Archive at Kew.

If he had completed his service between 1902 and 1913, including any reserve commitment, his service papers may well still be available at the National Archive in the WO 97 series of documents.

If it helps in identifying the date of photo No2; in 1905 the 1st Bn was in Madras, which, given the uniform' makes that location unlikely. The 2nd Bn was at Colchester.

At the outbreak of WW1 the 1st Bn was in Ireland and the 2nd Bn was in India. I'm sure that the Leicester record office will be able to help with dates of battalion postings in the intervening periods. If not, other forum members may be able to help.

Terry Reeves