Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hats, What is the name of this Beds/Herts hat?

Ghost

Can someone please let me know what the name of the type of hat is, that is worn by the soldier on this cracking picture from Pat Holscher's Horsy site. http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtop...?f=3&t=8750

The shoulder title looks like that worn by the Bedfords, but the hat colour I don't know, to early for the Bays.

Can some one also point me to a good Military (historical) hat site that I can read up on the colours and history of militay hats. Google just wants to sell me military surplus.

Alan

PS Seems that post is galloping ahead of me. I see it is now called the Broderick cap.

Agree with Broderick cap - given the date that the cap was in use the photo looks like it may have been taken in South Africa, second Boer War and he is mounted infantry.

I thought it may have been the 2nd Bedfords in SA just prior to WW1, but I dont know if they wore this Broderick cap. The Hertfordshire Reg did, as shown on this picy from Mark McKibbin on Steve Fullers site. http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/hertsrgt/hertsphotos1.html

Another thing now is that the buildings and ground look more like those of the middle east.

Ah, Joe Sweeney states that the Broderick cap was replaced by the Fc in in 1905. If that is rght, and im sure it is, the picture of the Beds/Herts may be dated wrong. But maybe the reserves kept it a bit longer!

Supposed to have been used until it wore out but it was unpopular although some reservists may still have had them for some time after they were officially withdrawn.

Any still in stores would have been issued as requirements demanded.

it was unpopular

Keep reading this, but unless mistaken no one says why. Can you clarify?

thanks and cheers Martin B

It wasn't considered to be particularly "soldierly" in appearance and for many years prior to its issue, caps had had peaks; to keep the sun out of the eyes and to make soldiers keep their heads up.

So, it did nothing for the soldier's appearance, his "comfort" or the Colour Sergeants's blood pressure.

Thanks for the explanation

cheers Martin B

Ah, Joe Sweeney states that the Broderick cap was replaced by the Fc in in 1905. If that is rght, and im sure it is, the picture of the Beds/Herts may be dated wrong. But maybe the reserves kept it a bit longer!

Ghost,

Yes replaced by the SD cap in 1905 but wear continued for quite a ahwile. The Broderick was still in inventory into 1907/1908 but considered obsolete.

Joe Sweeney

Ghost,

Yes replaced by the SD cap in 1905 but wear continued for quite a ahwile. The Broderick was still in inventory into 1907/1908 but considered obsolete.

Joe Sweeney

Except in the Royal Marines Light Infantry and Royal Marines Artillery, where it continued to be worn at least as far as 1914-15. The RMLI force that deployed to Belgium in the early part of 1914 were actually wearing it with SD.

Here is another good example of the hat being worn, this time by a group of the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers in India in 1904, less the officers and first class staff serjeants (the latter later warrant officers, or in a few cases remaining as QMSs).

Unable to load file. Too large. Can anyone help?