Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

died of wounds/medical records ?

gary thomson

i am researching my relative private andrew hood 22440 2nd batt royal scots, iknow he died of wounds 26/9/17 and is buried at dozinghem military cemetery.i assume that he was taken to a casualty clearing stn/hospital in that area where he died.were medical records kept of cause of death etc or were they to busy to keep accurate records for all the patients they attended to ?. if records were kept is ther any way of finding out how he met his end ?. i have his service records but can find no evidence of how he died only what what personal items were found on his person.

all the best. gary

Gary,

If any details of his wounds/treatment were available in my experience they are usually found in his service records.

Bob.

Gary,

I doubt very much that detailed records would be kept until the individual reached a hospital. Perhaps 'gunshot wounds' or some such might have been noted, but such entries cover many penetrating wounds, not just from small arms.

Any records of his demise would have been in his service record. A very small chance that he would be mentioned in the battalion war diary. Highly unlikely but worth a check - it may be possible to deduce something from the diary entries for that day. Of course he might have received the wounds a day or so before he died, so you would need to research some time before this date.

Ian