Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Corporal Andrew Malcolm (158409) Sapper Royal Engineers

raich

Here's an excerpt from the 257 Tunneling Coy diary...does anyone know what happened to this chap?

He's not listed as dead, so I assume he was a POW...

22/04/1917

CHAPIGNY – 17 R1 a. Face boarded up, bore hole showing considerable moisture. At about 8.30pm Cpl. Malcolm, who was in charge of No. 15 WINCHESTER, called out the pumpsman, and violently assaulted him. The former then announced his intention of going over the parapet. Questioned by a sentry, Cpl. Malcolm stated that he wished to inspect craters, and look for enemy mine shafts. He was last seen beyond the enemy front line, walking rapidly towards his second line. It is thought that he had lost his reason, his manner having been very strange, of late. This occurred on the evening of 21.4.17.

25/04/1917

A court of enquiry, composed as under, assembled in the Dining Hall at 10am, to investigate the cause and circumstance under which no. 158409 Lce. Corp. Malcolm, A, absented himself from the trenches.

158409 Andrew Malcolm RE has an MIC - it might be worth viewing same to see if he forfeited his medals.

Likewise a check for his service record...

Ian

158409 Andrew Malcolm RE has an MIC - it might be worth viewing same to see if he forfeited his medals.

Likewise a check for his service record...

Ian

Thanks Ian, couldn't find a service record in ancestry (yet).

His medal card gives no clues (to me) - there is some pencil on the RHS, but not sure if this is significant.

Raich

post-28343-1214404826.jpg

Well, back to the drawing board. I do not think Ancestry is yet up to the initial 'M' yet. Does the war diary have any subsequent entries at later dates?

Ian

Cpl. Malcolm stated that he wished to inspect craters, and look for enemy mine shafts. He was last seen beyond the enemy front line, walking rapidly towards his second line. It is thought that he had lost his reason, his manner having been very strange, of late. This occurred on the evening of 21.4.17.

He was doing very well to get beyond the first line, and on his way to the second line.....very odd, very luckly.

Well, back to the drawing board. I do not think Ancestry is yet up to the initial 'M' yet. Does the war diary have any subsequent entries at later dates?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Nothing in the month following, but thats the last month I have the diary for...

Unless someone is able to come up with some magic (and pals often surprise me with what they have tucked away in their files) - I think we'll have to wait until ancestry release more later this year (hopefully).

Thanks

Raich

Raich.

Just looked at the MIC again, on the right side there is a date, If reading this right, 25/7/53 what would that mean ?

Peter

N/T is "no trace". It looks like the authorities have tried to contact him about some matter to do with his medals in July 1953.

Today I obtained the proceedings for this chaps hearing in absentia - it appears he'd been acting odd for a while since "another brother was killed", which may explain his state of mind...now need to find his brothers to possibly identify him further...

r