Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal confusion

Messina1915

As you can see from the MIC below, my chap's qualifying date is given as August 1914, but he is awarded the 1914-15 Star and not the 1914 Star.

Has someone given him the wrong medal, or has there been an error on the qualifying date? I can't work out what a hospital ship was doing in the Aegean Sea before Gallipoli.

He has two MICs as a result of his double-barrelled surname - they're identical in the information given, only the handwriting and layout varies slightly, and neither has any mention of his time as an officer in the Indian Army - I presume because they never left India while he was with them.

Also, I got a bit confused yesterday when I first saw this -thought the Versailles address meant he was with the British delegation, but now I'm reading it (partly thanks to help from pals on the interpreting forum) as his medal being administered at Versailles - can anybody definitely confirm this.

Cheers,

Carole.

P.S. I apologise if I shouldn't have put this here, but I thought that as this sub-forum has "medals" in the title and some of the questions are more to do with medal entitlement rather than interpreting the MIC it would be okay here.

post-33841-1214379257.jpg

The 1914 Star was ONLY granted for France & Flanders all qualifying for awards in other theatres received the 1914~15 Star,reflecting the honour accorded to the "Contemptibles of the BEF of August November 1914!!!

As you can see your man served in the Balkans,so the 1914~15 Star is the correct award.

ATB HB :)

Hello,

Have you tried a Google Search for information on the Hospital Ship? There may be some mention of it. You should also search this forum for information on it, I am sure someone will have something on it, if you are lucky there may even be a photo!

Mr. HarryBetts has coverd the 1915 Star question, so there is not really anything to say there.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the information.

Stewart, I will follow up on "Sunbeam" at some point - it was a yacht belonging to my chap's grandfather.

Cheers,

Carole.

Thanks

Cheers,

Carole.

If you ever find out about when he was attached to the British Section of the Supreme War Council, and in what capacity, I would be very interested to know. My dissertation for the MA in British First World War Studies was on the subject of the SWC. Amongst other things I have assembled the most comprehensive list of men who were there, up to 11 November 1918 (Officers, that is) and I'd like to keep on building it up.

Chris,

Having thought about it more, I'm very unsure that he was there. He was on sick-leave in England from his Indian Army unit at some point in 1918.

Does an address in that position on the card always relate to the recipient of the medal(s)?

The details of his Indian Army service can be found in this thread.

If anyone can work out a scenario how he could have been Versailles at any point bearing this information in mind I'll be very interested.

I am thinking that there is a strong chance that his award was just administered at Versailles, although I would love for him to have been there.

Cheers,

Carole.

From what I have seen of these addresses so far they relate to the recipient. The Medal roll shows where the administration for the medals was carried out.