Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Concert Parties

Peter Doyle

Hi - I'm just reading Bullets and Bandsmen and was interested to see the 11th Division Concert Party pierrots were called the 'Wunny Wuns'. I know that the 40th Division version was 'the Acorns'. I thought it would be interesting to know the extent of such Concert Parties, and to compile a list of the names (which seem to allude to aspects of the Divisional titles, numbers, badges, etc). Anyone got a list, or knowledge of other parties?

Cheers

Peter :blink:

Peter,

I have identified around 500 concert parties so far, of units from Army down to battalion level. I hope to write a book on the subject in due course. The only refernce I have to 40th Division is The Gamecocks, which I think comes from a list compiled some years ago by Terry Cave for Stand To! The only Acorns I have listed were Cheshire bantams.

I can give you chaper and verse on this when you come to speak in Northampton in September. In the meantime the Search box with take you to several past threads.

Thanks Kate - a friend of mine's grandfather (if you see what I mean) was a private in the KOYLI at the end of the war; photos and records of him 'in action' with the 40th Division concert party in 1918 quite categorically have him in 'The Acorns' rather than the 'The Gamecocks' (both of which fit the formation sign). I guess, then, that there were more than one incarnation?

Peter

Hi Peter .

Kate alerterd me to the fact that a programme from my grandfather's Concert Party in India , was being sold on e bay last month .

I don't know if such programmes appear regularly .

Concert Parties really do seem to have been an Edwardian "thing" - everyone seems to have been able to "do a turn" . Kate's book will be fascinating .

Linden

Thanks Linden - I think you are right; such parties existed in WW2, of course; I've a photo of a RA version, 'the Bombshells'. I wonder when the 'pierrot' format was dropped. I have a couple of programmes myself - from a range of locations, so I guess they were reasonably common.

Best

Peter

Peter,

Concert parties did change their names occasionally, so perhaps The Acorns and Gamecocks were one and the same (allowing for changes in personel etc). I'd be interested to know more about your friend's grandfather.

Pierrot troupes faded away soon after the war, although concert parties continued until at least WW2 and a little beyond.

Yes Kate , I think you're right . Those programmes of my grandfathers for Nasik seem to have 2 names and it's the same people on both sets and only during ca. a year . I wonder why ...

These wartime connections seem to have lasted a long time . Before WW1 my grandfather was a pupil teacher . After the war he seemed to be very enterprising and successful . But he lost everything in 1929 . Somehow he got a solo part in "The Desert Song" in Drury Lane . I can only imagine that he must have had contacts from the concert party days ,

Linden

Peter,

Concert parties did change their names occasionally, so perhaps The Acorns and Gamecocks were one and the same (allowing for changes in personel etc). I'd be interested to know more about your friend's grandfather.

Pierrot troupes faded away soon after the war, although concert parties continued until at least WW2 and a little beyond.

Some details are in my recent book 'Tommy's War', where you will see a selection of character photos of people in the Acorns (p. 148). Happy to pass on more details where required...

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I see you have been discussing Concert parties. My Great Uncle was in WW1 concert party called the Wing Boys which was ran by Cedric Hardwicke, for those who are unfamilier with his name he was a actor and later became Sir. Some of you may well remember his Son Edward Hardwicke who was known for his role as Dr Watson in Sherlock Holmes Adventures in the Seventies. I have very little information on the Wing Boys so would appriciate any information that anyone can give. I do not know what the regiment that they were in as a concert party as my Great Uncle Frederick Burrluck only ended up in the party due to the fact that the Army found out that he was too young for the front line battles. On his Medal Card it has Queens R.

so this or any other information would be greatfully recieved.

I do have a copy of a photo of the Wing Boys Concert party.

Many thank

Angie

Angie,

Is your photo dated?

I ask because, in his autobiography, Hardwicke says he turned down the offer of managing a concert party during hostilities and only became involved after the Armistice. Strange as it may seem, many new concert parties were created after hostilities as a means of keeping everyone amused during the occupation, and whilst awaiting demobilisation.

I am interested in your great uncle, as it could be the case that Hardwicke did use his theatrical experience during the war, and simply chose to gloss over this in his autobiography - but this is only surmise.

• 10 years later...

I've posted on our blog https://languagesandthefirstworldwar.wordpress.com the programme for the February 1919 concert that included the Acorns alongside some French performers. There are photos of the individual performers there too. Does anyone know of any other joint Anglo-French concerts? 

Angie

G/67940 Private Frederick Thomas Burrluck served with the 11th Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment. It was part of 123rd Brigade, 41st Division. Apparently born either 1898 or 1899 (Peckham or Malling, Kent) as there was another man of the same name and age who joined the Royal Navy in 1914.