Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Cross reference image

fotonix

Dear colleagues,

I wonder if anyone out there would be willing to provide a very, very detailed scan of the obverse of a Military Cross? I ask because I recently acquired a M.C., but it has a peculiar feature of the inner cross being ever-so-slightly- off alignment with the outer cross. Of course, the medal is merely one-piece. I've no reason to doubt it's an original, and it came from Pinks but then, they did forget to mention one of the (very much lower value) medals was a replacement, and a copy replacement at that!

Thanks,

J.

Hope this will help, this is a photo of my only MC GV issue. Maybe a ref pic of your's could help us with your query

post-33364-1214313119.jpg

Yes, I can do. I was trying to avoid malicious claims of it being a fake, but I'm happy enough it isn't, so here goes:

5158272_70d72dba73_o.jpg

looks authentic from the picture

Thanks for the opinion so far. I was very surprised indeed to find Pinks defending their position of not advertising the 14/15 star was a copy replacement, and they seemed to be entirely ignorant of the Distance Selling Regulations. They did, after my having to adopt a legalistic approach, give a modest part-refund, which allowed me to buy a good quality, unnamed star in its place. What annoyed me most was the usual establishment rubbish of 'oh, Mr. X, our expert, has examined it; he has 40 years' experience, and he says it's a contemporary replacement. Yeah, contemporary with our times, not the 1920's! Vote with the feet, customers...

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot comment on Pink's never bought from them. Is it a very well known auction house?

There is no way to tell from the front of a MC if it is genuine, there is however a simple way to identify fakes from the reverse. The sad thing is the feature that identifies the originals I could go outside add in my garage. So I dont really want to say here what that is. Yours will probably be ok as I like the patination on this medal but please show a picture of the reverse if you are still unsure.

If I were to nit pick your medal my only issue would be the abscence of the top bar. The fakes are not manufactured with top ribbon bars. Also I would like to know if this is a group, why the MC has been cut from the mounting bar? how long are the ribbons on the other medals, are they also cut in the same fashion? Ribbons can tell you a lot about a medal and are often neglected by collectors. Ribbons can tell you if a collector has once owned them, if the previous owner was a smoker, if the medal has been in a house fire etc etc.

Also is there any chance we could see the entire grouping including the naming on the trio? Some enterprising individual may well of bought a pair then bolted all the others on. It does happen.

If Pinks is a well known auction house and they have sold you a medal and you can prove it is a copy you are well with in your rights to get your money back. It is illegal to sell items not as described.