Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Vernon Bertram Longworth South Africa

biffrocks

I am trying to research a South African WW1 Trio (Victory medal bilingual reverse) to 9321 V B Longworth. I have contacted the Documentation in South Africa and they have given me the following information.

Vernon Bertram Longworth

D.O.B. - 30/08/1887

Place of birth :- Walmer, Port Elizabeth

Transfered to Coldstream Guards

Rank 2nd LIEUT

Does anyone have any information on how I can research his service with the Coldstream Guards.

I have found out he also played 1st class cricket for Eastern Province between 1910 - 1913

Any help would be much appreaciated

Thanks

Rob

Rob - Coldstreamer on the forum has a special interest in the CG - so a new question mentioning them might attract his attention

A small bit of info - according to Ancestry a Vernon B Longworth married a Dorothy M Stobart in the 2nd qtr of 1919 at Knaresborough Yorkshire - West Riding vol 9a page 293 - a copy of the marriage certificate might provide you with some personal info

A google search brings up (as well as the cricket mentions) a mention in "thepeerage.com" - suggesting that Vernon's daughter June married a well connected WW2 CG man - Doric Bossom and shows descendents -

http://www.thepeerage.com/p14627.htm#i146263

Cheers

Sue

Rob

He has an Officer's Personal File at Kew under WO374/42861.

Sotonmate

joined 27.3.18 as 2 lt

demobbed 8.2.19 lt

rank on medals would suggest he didnt serve in theatre with the CG and I cant see him listed in the Btn rolls (only a quick look mind)

joined 27.3.18 as 2 lt

demobbed 8.2.19 lt

rank on medals would suggest he didnt serve in theatre with the CG and I cant see him listed in the Btn rolls (only a quick look mind)

Hi Coldstreamer

Thanks for the info. On the medals there is a Regt No 9321 & then V B Longworth no rank mentioned at all so could he have been in a South African Regt then transfered to Coldstream Guards for the dates you have given me. If so any idea how I can check what Regt he was in, as I have contacted the documentation centre in South Africa and they have been only able to give be the info I have already listed.

There is a bit of an envelope that came with the medals and has some writing on which mentions a Colonel W B Walton & Scotts & Coldstream Guards.

Very gratefull if you or anyone else can shed anymore light on V B Longworths army service.

are you in SA ?

just wondered as I have relatives near Walmer

Biffrocks

WO374/42861 says:

Joined CG Cadet Battalion 6.10.1917 at Bushey Age 30.

Previously served 256 days with Southern Rifles in German SW Africa (C9321 Trooper) Jul 1915. Public School in South Africa at Grahamstown. Born 3.8.1887 Port Elizabeth. Widower. Was a woollen merchant (same as father-Herbert Longworth).Initially joined KRRC on 5.10.1917 No R/40925. Immediatley transferred to Cadet Officer. No overseas war service-all 173 days at Buckingham Gate London with the Coldstream Guards.London address for both father and son:14 Belfast Chambers, Regent Street.

A letter says that later he was in France with the 2 Coldstreams,returning on 14.2.1919. This evidently was only after the Armistice.

Demobbed 15.2.1919. Commission relinquished 1.4.1920,this in the London Gazette 28.10.1920.

Sotonmate

Biffrocks

WO374/42861 says:

Joined CG Cadet Battalion 6.10.1917 at Bushey Age 30.

Previously served 256 days with Southern Rifles in German SW Africa (C9321 Trooper) Jul 1915. Public School in South Africa at Grahamstown. Born 3.8.1887 Port Elizabeth. Widower. Was a woollen merchant (same as father-Herbert Longworth).Initially joined KRRC on 5.10.1917 No R/40925. Immediatley transferred to Cadet Officer. No overseas war service-all 173 days at Buckingham Gate London with the Coldstream Guards.London address for both father and son:14 Belfast Chambers, Regent Street.

A letter says that later he was in France with the 2 Coldstreams,returning on 14.2.1919. This evidently was only after the Armistice.

Demobbed 15.2.1919. Commission relinquished 1.4.1920,this in the London Gazette 28.10.1920.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate

Thanks so much for the info that's so kind and helpfull. This forum really is the best.

Thanks again

Biffrocks

seems he didnt serve until after the war ended in France

seems he didnt serve until after the war ended in France

Hi Coldstreamer

If it looks as if he didn't go to France until after the war ended, what do you think he was there to do? Not sure if you can help but someone earlier said you were a bit of an expert on the Coldstream Guards.

Thanks

Rob

probably sent to give officers in France some extra leave and to help with them returning to civilian life