Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with soldier's unit, please

34thdiv

post-12386-1214286338.jpgpost-12386-1214286275.jpg

Morning everyone,

I have mentioned to a friend, the help I received from the Forum when I was researching my grandfather, so she has sent me the following images of her great-great grandfather. His name is Richard Brooks (no middle name) and was born on 12th Dec. 1883, he lived in Bampton, Oxon and returned from the war blinded by gas she believes. The mounted picture was taken in 1917.

Please would the members give me any details they can regarding rank, unit, and possibly where he fought etc., etc., etc., as much as possible really.

Knowing just how good you are, I'll probably get the name of the horse too!!!

Thanks and regards,

Rob.

Ancestry have the papers of a Richard Brooks born approx 1883/4 gassed 29-11-1917 came from Burnley, discharged 1919 not the same man ? just a guess. Ralph.

My immediate impression of the badge is Royal Engineers.

There are two different MICs for Richard Brooks RE both with rank of 'Driver', which would fit his horseback role.

Ian

Thank you all for your replies, I'll contact my friend to see about getting a better picture of the cap badge.

Ian, hello,

In a thread yesterday I asked about a medal of VC appearance but with the ribbon coming to a point above the medal itself, this belonged to this soldier. Do you know if the MIC's indicate a medal of this description or will we have to get them from the National Archives ourselves, please?

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

Rob.

Rob,

Probably best to take this one step at a time. ID the regiment first. Then once fairly sure have a look at liklely MICs. I think they just show 14, 14-15 Stars, BWM & VM.

Is this medal perhaps a 14 or 14-15 Star? The ribons are red and white, the medal a bronze colour and it should have his number on the back.

Do his other medals exist (BWM/VM)? If so, they will have his name, number, rank and regiment around the rim.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for that, we'll follow your advice.

Rob.

Royal Engineers doesn't ring for me: the badge looks too vertical and upwards pointing for the sappers. Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars looked a possible?

Hello again all,

I've been round to my friend's tonight to try to get a better image of the cap badge, which we can't. I took with me an RE badge for comparison but this one seems to be almost totally circular with a much higher crown (or cross) on the top than the RE badge. I've looked at the QOOH badge online and this seems not to be this one also as the QOOH's badge is more of a "V" shape than the one in the picture. Whilst we were trying for a better image on the PC, it appears that this one has a square device in the middle of the circular badge with the top of the square near the top of the circle whilst being contained in that circle, i.e. the straight lines do not appear to break the circle.

We don't want to come to a dead end yet, so some family member's are being contacted to try to get the soldier's service number.

There is another photograph of a lady with what has always been assumed was this soldier's medal displayed in the window, I will post this in case it is of any assistance.

Thanks again,

Rob.

post-12386-1214419241.jpg

This is the picture of the lady with the medal in the window, all I can say is that the cross is of VC shape, it's centre is dark, and the dark ribbon comes to a point above the cross.

Hope someone can help,

Best regards,

Rob.

Hello Rob

Can you verify from the standing photo that he has more than five puches on his bandolier? If so, he would be cavalry (or yeomanry) who had five pockets at the front and four on the back. All other mounted troops only had five on the front but it looks as if your chap may have a sixth disappearing under his right arm.

Rank in the standing photo is definitely Private, Trooper or Driver, or Gunner or Sapper if in RA or RE. Mounted photo may have a lance-corporal's stripe, but this could be the way the light catches the sleeve.

Ron

post-35119-1214421064.jpg

Hello Rob

Can you verify from the standing photo that he has more than five puches on his bandolier? If so, he would be cavalry (or yeomanry) who had five pockets at the front and four on the back. All other mounted troops only had five on the front but it looks as if your chap may have a sixth disappearing under his right arm.

Rank in the standing photo is definitely Private, Trooper or Driver, or Gunner or Sapper if in RA or RE. Mounted photo may have a lance-corporal's stripe, but this could be the way the light catches the sleeve.

Ron

This is man served in Royal Field Artillery,(Driver) think it's same as your man,more or less.

Ron,

I have contacted my friend and she says that there appear to be six pouches on her photo.

Skipman,

Thank you for your help.

Rob.