Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EDWARDS, Private, THOMAS, 8539

Jacky Platteeuw

During research on the registers of the Menin Gate I came on above soldier:

EDWARDS, Private, THOMAS, 8539. 1st Bn. South Staffordshire Regiment. 27th October 1914. Age 14. Son of Charles and Mary Jane Edwards, of 1292 Willenhall Rd., Wolverhampton. Born: Wolverhampton.

CWGC and SDGW give the same date

If true certainly one of the youngest casualties of the War. I am a little sceptical as to the age of this soldier. Can it be that he was a regular at that age or could he already be a draft.

Any information welcome.

Jacky

Hello Jacky.

I suppose it could be possible if he was a drummer boy.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about regular army battalions having young drummer boys although i am not sure what the actual age limit was.

All the best.

Simon.

Jacky

I suspect that the age given is incorrect, as I do not believe he was a boy drummer.

Coincidentally perhaps, a man with the rank of Drummer was one of the first killed in the 1st South Staffords. Mentioned by name in the Battalion War Diary, 8119 Drummer George Wheeler died on 22 October 1914 and is among those buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery.

Cheers

Mark

There's a baby named Thomas Edwards of under I month old listed as born and resident in Wolverhampton. His father could be the Charles Edwards 30 years old - Railway Signal Labourer - born in Gloucester and resident in Wolverhampton.

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

I thought so at first but the age is wrong, he would have been 13 in 1914. I've checked again and his father is also Thomas. I couldn't find another likely match so I think Chris is probably right and the age is wrongly recorded.

MARK

Guest Ian Bowbrick

It might interest you to know that the CWGC lists the youngest battle casualty of WW1 as being a Pte John Condon of an Irish Regt whose age is given as 14. If my memory serves me right he was KiA in 1915. This checks out according to the 1901 census.

Ian