Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette

caroline@linkagecomputing.co.uk

On page 5228 London Gazette dated 29 May 1917 there is the continuation of a list of soldiers with a sum of money due to their next of kin.

I think A. M. Foden Private Cheshire Reg with the sum of £ 2.14s.11d maybe " one of my Fodens" namely Archibald Murray Foden Private 1732 1st/4th Cheshire regiment KIA 15/08/1915.

First is it likely to be this man?

What "effects" are referred to here would this be his pay or what?

Sorry London Gazette entries are still somewhat of a mystery to me- that is when I can actually find them!

Thank you

It would seem likely that this is your man Caroline. From my inexpert searching there is only one A M Murray in the MICs.

Hi,

I had a distant relative in the Kings who died in Bristol and shortly afterwards he had a similar entry in the Gazette. It would appear that

the money was his "estate" which could not be returned to his next of kin for whatever reason.

Regards,

Norman

The amounts are indeed the man's military pay, I believe from those that the Army has "lost" their next of kin.

Steve.

In my relatives case Steve is definitely correct as the records recently uploaded onto Ancestry contain his wife’s name and address!

Regards,

Norman

Thank you all for your help, Norman, Steve and Greenwoodman.

What I failed to mention in my post that I was actually looking for details of a different brother one who was a junior officer who I was told had an official post after the War ended in about 1922 as you can see I must have put in the dates wrong and up popped these details ...I would not have thought to look for this private who died so early in Gallipoli.

Archibald Murray Foden actually had numerous brothers serving even in the Cheshires so I doubt his next of kin were very "lost"

Thanks again

Caroline