Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC is asking for help

Terry Denham

CWGC has started a project to provide GPS data for its cemeteries and so they have come to GWF to seek our help.

To speed up the task, they are seeking anyone who has already undertaken the job of plotting the GPS position of any of their cemeteries on the Western Front or in the UK – or at least started doing so. If you have made a start on this and would not object to sharing your information with CWGC, please send me a PM. At least we may be able to give them a head start and save valuable time by somebody not having to drive all over the countryside to reinvent the wheel!

I know that we are usually talking on GWF of finding our way to various cemeteries in France and Belgium but the UK needs this data even more as there is usually little directional information available for the 12,000 war grave cemeteries in the UK!

Please help if you can.

Terry

There is an excellent download of locations prepared by BraunstonBruce that I have used with TomTom software, and that others have used with alternative programmes. The thread is in the technology section. I am sure that Bruce would be happy to share if he were approached, as he has made the download freely available through the forum.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. I'll check it out.

I knew this had been discussed several times over recent years and that there would be some knowledge available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes we have the TomTom French CWGC sites as a POI (point of interest) although we haven't tried them for accuracy yet - We go to Normandy and then the Somme later this month :D

Hi Terry

I have software which I have used with my Garmin GPS which I can attempt to email you. It has most if not all French sites and I have found it very accurate. Any use?

Chris C

I have the French and Belgium sites from members of this forum and others.

I have not discussed doing "cemeteries" with the CWGC but rather "individual head stones" to go on the CWGC site so you can see the actual stone of a soldier.

Here are some examples:

Milton Soldiers: GPS Google Earth Moderated

This one was moved to "Google Earth Moderated" as it shows the cemeteries in Canada and France, moving in a "tour" (ask me if you don't know how to take a tour in Google Earth) so you see not only the cemetery but the gravestone. These are verified against the CWGC records in France and actual site visits in Canada.

There are others like this, such as the Newfoundland monuments but I have not uploaded all of them.

The Newfoundland Monuments - once on Google Earth the GPS is noted!

Or the Nurses - just the cemetery, the resolution was not good enough for grave stones:

Canadian Nursing Sisters: GPS Google Earth

Pleased to assist in this project if I can. I am doing all the local sites with Google Earth and GPS (Co-Pilot) and have been working on correction factors. I have postings elsewhere on this topic. Are others interested??

I used the BraunstonBruce download on my Garmin on a recent trip across Belgium/France and cannot speak highly enough of the work that this guy has put in and made available to others. Simply brilliant; made my navigation of the backroads around the battlefields so much easier and enjoyable. We probably only called at 30 or so cemeteries but dead right every time. The folk at CWGC that I met at Beaurains were impressed too and they are fully aware of what BraunstonBruce has produced.

My sincere thanks to BraunstonBruce !!

I can't lay my hands on the original thread where Bruce mentioned his POI - but I recall someone else posted about a Belgian site that has GPS positions of the cemeteries in the Ypres Salient.

As a general aside, could one of the CWGC staff then not use their own cemetery locations book (which pinpoints location) in conjunction with one the latitude/longitude finder websites, for the outstandings?

Cracking idea on their part, BTW.

John

Guest KevinEndon

Can we have a list of those in the U.K. which have been done so that we are not having doubles, trebles added to the list.

Kevin

Guest geoff501
Can we have a list of those in the U.K. which have been done so that we are not having doubles, trebles added to the list.

Kevin

Good idea.

I tried to get coordinates from Google Maps, but does not seem possible, however this website does seem to do that:

http://www.gorissen.info/Pierre/maps/googleMapLocation.php

There is no address lookup so you have to zoom and scroll to find the cemetery, then click to get the coordinates.

Hi Terry

Sorry I only just saw your request, I think the following site will help; www.wo1.be

If you follow the database tab and then cemeteries it gives options to British, French, Belguim and German Cemeteries. By clicking the 'i' (information tab next to te cemetery you looking for it brings up a very good description and includes GPS and Google Earth locatios. For example if you were looking for 'Derry House Cemetery No2 this is what you can find; GPS reference Derry House Cemetery N?.2

DSMX N 50°46'45.9'' - E002°54'00.4''

DMX N 50°46.765' - E002°54.007'

D N 50.779411° - E002.900114°

UTM 31U E 492957 N 5625299

Google Earth 50 46.765 N, 002 54.007 E

Clicking the 'next' tab will open the page

Derry House Cemetery N°.2

Terry,

Can I suggest that once the CWGC starts tabulating this data to remove duplicates and does its own ground truthing (which it will need to do), can I suggest that it may like to consider:

a. Listing the coordinates for the entrance/closest point in the car park/road way

b. Approaching an open data proponent like Google along with all of the different GP map data providers (Tele Atlas and so on) for assistance in charting the data as distinct POI and free inclusion on their product.

You may find that one of the firms will be happy to chart the data and you may find one of the manufacturers may want to assist by providing the GPS for travelling staff who have to care for dispersed individual graves.

cheers,

Chris H