Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts.& Derby

Chris Noble

Hi.

Can anybody possibly identify which battalion of the Notts.& Derby regiment this chap served with prior to his commision in the West Yorkshire Regiment? No. 5504 and entitled to the Territorial Force War Medal.

Kindest regards to all.

Chris.

Does he have a name? :rolleyes:

Steve

I think that's the easy part ;)

My guess is it's this man.....

Medal card of Thomas, James Shepherd

Corps Regiment No Rank

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 5504 Private

West Yorkshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/19

Steve

I'll take a look later tonight if poss and see if I can offer a suggestion. Obviously it's going to be 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th Battalions. Out of interest, do you know when the commission was granted?

Mike Briggs, if he spots this, will almost certainly (big build-up, no pressure) rule in or out the 6th Battalion.

Out of interest, do you know when the commission was granted?

According to his MIC he was discharged to commission into the West Yorkshire Regiment 06/07/1916.

Steve

Sorry, no joy. He's the only 5504 I have on the spreadsheet. I can't access his MIC on Ancestry because it doesn't appear to be there. I was wondering whether it recorded a date of entry - probably not. Without already knowing the battalion I can't narrow down his possible enlistment date, but averaging out across the four TF battalions I would suggest a late 1915 / early 1916 enlistment. Possibly one of the last volunteers.

Hi Chaps.

Spot on.

Commissioned to the 15th (Service) Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment.

Much appreciated, and, if you could 'pin down' his battalion with the Notts. & Derby, that would be a bonus.

Kindest regards to you all.

Chris.

Here's the front of his MIC, no date of entry though....

The lack of an entry date and the date of commission combined with the likely enlistment date suggests arrival in France early-Spring 1916. I'm intrigued by the commissioning date, just a few days after Gommecourt when the SF TF's were heavily involved and two of the battalions badly mauled. I wonder if he was there?

Chris

Could Shepherd have never served with the Notts & Derby ?

He may well have enlisted into the Notts & Derbys one day and then moved out to Cadet school the next day, i have seen this before.

Just athought.

Re the TF Medal would not tie in with this thou.

Anyway some info from the Gazette you may or may not have, but i never asume.

post-9-1214321816.jpg

Gazette dated 4/8/16.

See the diff in date from Gazette to MIC, out by aday.

Ca Ira

Regards as always Kevin

His number might be consistant with a Derby Scheme man, I agree with Andy that you are looking at early 1916 (about April 1916). Interestingly, many of the men that went into the N & D under the Derby Scheme ended up with different Battns/Regts.

Am at NA at moment (or at least I've left now for a beer!). If you want I'll dig his records out tomorrow???

cheers

Mike

Hi Kevin/Mike.

Yes Kevin, i was a bit confused on that 'issue'. He seems to have 'dropped in. dropped out.'

I have also seen this before. Thanks once again Kevin.

Mike.

If you can it would be most helpful, very much appreciated.

Kindest regards to you all for your postings on this thread.

Ca Ira!

Chris.

Chris

I had a look at 2 Officer's records today for J Thomas and neither were 'the man' will try again tomorrow, but not sure his records are there?

cheers

Mike