Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bttn The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

2lewis's

Hello,

I would be grateful on any information relating to LC William Millard who died on 31st October 1917 and is burried at Dozinghern Military Cemetry. Not much to go on I am afriad but any assistance really welcome.

Many thanks

Mark

Mark

A question of whether it was 1/6 (165 Brigade of 55 Division)or 2/6 (171 Brigade of 57 Division) Battalion King's Liverpool Regt.

2/6 would have been NE of Ypres around Poelcapelle at this time. I will seek War Diary refs for both units,and the LLT suggests that 1/6 were around Cambrai,perhaps too far south for evac of wounded to DOZINGHEM.

Your subject would almost certainly have died of wounds as DOZINGHEM was a cemetery for three Casualty Clearing Stations then,Nos 4,47 and 61,and quite a way west from the front line in 1917. This place was NNW of Poperinghe, was a fictitious name made up by the Army, and today found near a village called St Sixtus,where,if you visit there is a rest halt (Inn de Frede) which,when I visited a few years ago brewed and sold its own beer (NOT unusual to brew but an exceptional beer !), local cheeses and pate.

Sotonmate

EDIT: War Diaries: 1/6th WO95/2926 (Jan 1916 to Apr 1919) and 2/6th WO95/2983 (Feb 1917 to May 1919).

Mark,

William Millard joined the 2/6th Battalion, King's Liverpool Regt. on the Western Front on the 19th September, 1917.

Ken

SDGW has him being born and enlisting LONDON and residing LAMBETH formerly 4413 EAST SURREY REGT. Ralph.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

I have a page or two from 2/6 War Diary and the 171 Infantry Brigade Diary for your perusal. Please send your e-mail address by PM.

Sotonmate