Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

120 Siege Battery

Tony N

Hello,

I've been trying without any luck to find information on 120 Siege Battery especially their whereabouts in Sept. 1917. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Hello Tony

They were equipped with 8-inch howitzers, and on 16 Sept they were part of Second Army Troops in the Ypres Salient.

Their War Diary for the period July 1916 to Dec 1917 is in the National Archives at Kew in file WO95/395.

Ron

Hello Tony

They were equipped with 8-inch howitzers, and on 16 Sept they were part of Second Army Troops in the Ypres Salient.

Their War Diary for the period July 1916 to Dec 1917 is in the National Archives at Kew in file WO95/395.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks very much. I have a SWB to a Gunner who was admitted to hospital in Wimereux on 19 Sept. with a severe head wound caused by a shell, he was subsequently discharged due to wounds. I would imagine he must have been wounded a few days beforehand. I will need to find someone now to look up the War Diary as I'm quite a long way from London.

Cheers

Tony

Tony

120 Siege were part of the 22nd Heavy Artillery Group, 1 Anzac Corps HA, 2nd Army under the command of a/Major K R Angus in Sept'17.

Attached is a map showing their position

Stuart

post-6041-1214301524.jpg

Tony

120 Siege were part of the 22nd Heavy Artillery Group, 1 Anzac Corps HA, 2nd Army under the command of a/Major K R Angus in Sept'17.

Attached is a map showing their position

Stuart

Thanks for the map Stuart.

They were Anzacs or were British troops attached to 1 Anzac Corps? The reason I ask is because I have a SWB to a member to 120 Siege Battery, the badge has no prefix and the soldier was RGA.

Thanks

Tony

Tony

British RGA attached to the Anzacs.

Ron

Ahhhhh, thanks for the confirmation Ron.

Tony