andy66

Hi

Could someone do me a huge favour and do a SDGW check of the following soldier;

10206 Pte Thomas SHELLABEAR

2Bn Duke of Wellington's Regiment

KIA: 24.08.1914?

Thank you

Andy

Andy, He has a Medal Index Card on Ancestry if you havnt seen/got it, address as Bengal Street Keighley. PM your email address if you want me to send the card. Ragards Ralph.

Interesting date of death. Lieutenant Colonel Gibbs says Private Shellabear was killed quite close to him at about 3 p.m. He was writing about the 23rd. Was the CO mistaken about the first man killed in his battalion? Or was the record compiler mistaken? Or was the man wounded and unconscious and apparently dead on the 23rd but actually dead on the 24th?

Lieutenant Colonel Gibbs thought he was dead, so even if he was still alive he must have been in a bad way. I don’t suppose we will ever know with absolute certainty.

Tony.

I agree I do not think we will ever know with any certainty what happened. However, I will carry on with my enquiries just out of interest. I will let you know if anything interesting turns up.

Cheers

Andy

Request on behalf of Andy, can a member with SDGW post an image of SHELLABEARs entry on here please, mine will not let me do it for some odd reason, I have sent him his MIC. Thanks in advance. Ralph.

Thanks Chris

I am not sure i fancy my chances of confirming the detail of him having the dubios acknowledgement of being the first soldier in the Duke of Wellingtons killed on the 23.08.14. His date of death on all other records is the 24th, however but I will continue enquiries.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Andy