Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African units

lexxie

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the Adjutant Generals Base actually was? & was it on the front line or directing operations at the rear?

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

Im no great expert on the SAI but have been resarching soldiers who served in 1st, 2nd, 4th on the wEstern Front and in the ?? in East AFrica.

Im a bit at a loss as to what you mean in your question - can you give greater detail and maybe I can help. I have the usual books and can look up if you dont have them.

Kathie

Hello Mark

The Adjutant-General's Office at the Base (sometimes known as GHQ 3rd Echelon) was located at one of the bases on the Lines of Communication (the back areas). That for France was at Rouen throughout the war.

Its duties comprised all the centralised record-keeping for personnel matters in the relevant theatre: weekly strength returns, casualties, reinforcements and other postings, promotions and disciplinary records.

Men posted permanently to this "unit" would be clerical staff - usually one orderly-room sergeant per infantry battalion and similar proportions for other arms.

Normally, each dominion or colony represented in the force had its own sub-section within the AGs Office, so there would have been a South African section at Rouen and at the base in East Africa.

Ron