Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Allied occupation of Istanbul, 1918-23

sykikcabbage

Unitedsound,

I think that you have correctly identified both locations. I uploaded another photograph of the Dolmabache Palace gates earlier in the thread.

Simon.

post-6480-1228649515.jpg

Post#35 The four funnelled ship bottom right is a U.S. destroyer, probably USS McCormick. Also there are two British battleships of the King George V or Iron Duke classes. Plus a British 'D' class cruiser, but the identity of the three funnelled cruiser far right will need further investigation.

Post#27

The three funnelled ship is the Turkish cruiser Hamidieh. Built by Armstrong's in Newcastle 1902-04. She served in the Turkish navy until she became a training ship from 1940-47. Sold for scrapping in 1964.

The other two photos are of the battleship Torgut Reis. Originally built in Germany 1890-94 for the Imperial German Navy as the Weissenburg, she was sold to the Ottomans in 1910. She was hulked as a school ship in 1924.

Let me know if you require any further details of these ships.

Regards

Bob

Breath-taking pictures, High Wood!

Would you mind if I use a few of them in my web site? www.turkeyswar.com... With full reference to the book and to you of course...

Cheers,

There is a similar photograph taken in the same area.

I think this one (#95) is the ferry pier at Anadolu Hisarı, on the Asian side of the city, right across the fortress built by Mehmed II before he captured the city in 1453.

Best,

Altay

36 left is of something famous but I can't recall what. Sorry.

It is the "German Fountain" in the Byzantine hypodrome, next to the Blue Mosque. Kaiser Wilhelm's gift to Sultan Abdulhamit II during his visit to Istanbul in, I guess, 1898 or 1899.

Breath-taking pictures, High Wood!

Would you mind if I use a few of them in my web site? www.turkeyswar.com... With full reference to the book and to you of course...

Cheers,

Atlay,

no problem at all. Let me know which pictures you want to use and I will send high resolution copies. I will need your email address so it is probably best if you pm me.

Simon.

post-6480-1228892620.jpg

Post#35 The four funnelled ship bottom right is a U.S. destroyer, probably USS McCormick. Also there are two British battleships of the King George V or Iron Duke classes. Plus a British 'D' class cruiser, but the identity of the three funnelled cruiser far right will need further investigation.

The D class cruiser is D32: HMS Versatile.

post-6480-1229265822.jpg

Post # 137 D32 HMS Versatile is an Admiralty 'V' class destroyer.

Post # 138 The first photo is of an 'Iron Duke' class battleship.

The second is of a Spanish battleship of the 'Espana' class, probably Jaime I.

Are any of these photo's dated, or have locations annotated with them?

Bob

Bob,

sadly none of the photographs are anotated or dated but all seem to date from 1922-1923. I had thought that the tripod mast in the lower photograph in post 138 indicated a British ship. I know absolutely nothing about the Spanish navy. The photograph below may be of the Sultan's yacht.

post-6480-1229411958.jpg

The ship IZ-ED-DIN in post#140 was classified as a yacht, but was built in 1864/5 at Thames Iron Works as a paddle dispatch vessel.

The Sultan had a much newer yacht for his use.

Bob

Bob,

thanks for that. There were two similar ships shown in the Turkish Navy section of the warships website that I looked at. One was the Sultan's yacht and it was difficult for me to tell them apart due to the size of the photographs.

post-6480-1229585252.jpg

• 5 years later...
Guest Jb7951

A friend visiting Turkey has seen the Kelia Liman section at Shell Green Cemetery and asked me to find out more about them. Thanks to this Forum I have been able to tell her more about the Chanak Incident and the British forces deployed to Turkey after the War.

Does anyone have information on how the 20 or so servicemen initially interred at Kelia Liman (Maidos) died.

At least one of them is RAF: 290133 Airman 1st CLass P? KANE who died 6 Dec 1922.

Thanks

• 4 years later...
On 08/11/2008 at 10:54, high wood said:

Does anyone want to try and identify the original owner of the photograph album? We can assume that he served in the RAF with 207 Squadron in 1923. I am not sure if he was an officer or an O.R. There are some family photographs in the album taken in England. In addition, there is a photograph of what may be the Lightwater war memorial and a name and address: G Joel. Grainger's Farm, West End, Woking, Surrey.

post-6480-1226138086.jpg

This doesn't seem to have had a response??

My thought it is actually the photographs of Charles Henry Joel whose RAF record is available here on Fold3 (free today!) An interesting service file incl 207 Sqn 1922 etc. Perhaps it was his father or son that was G Joel edit Perhaps his son Geo P Joel b 1912).  CH Joel is on 1939 Register for Graingers Farm, West End, Bagshott district as is his son.

He appears to have gone with 207 Squdn to Constantinople in 1922 as a Sgt Fitter RAF., returning to UK late 1923. So photo in earlier post indeed would fit him- age and rank.

Born 10/11/80 Middlesex, First enlisted 1914, finally discharged 1926.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

charlie962 Great work!

Some online books 

"Grief and Glamour of the Bosphorus" by Lieut- Colonel P R Butler page 203 Blackwood’s Magazine, no 209 January-June 1921. Archive.org

Fiction based on actual experiences. Naval Odyssey by Thomas Woodrooffe 1938, first published c 1936. HathiTrust Digital Library. Toby Warren, on the (fictitious) British cruiser HMS "Cassiopeia", participates in the events in Turkey during the 1920s, and the Royal Navy's involvement in the crises there. One of the chapters is titled "Constan., 1923". A publisher's note about the book and the author says "After the war he saw service …in the Mediterranean…is thus eminently qualified to write a book about things actually seen and experienced while in the Navy"

Copied from the FIBIs Fibiwiki page Norperforce

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Norperforce#Historical_books_online

Cheers

Maureen