Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Allied occupation of Istanbul, 1918-23

sykikcabbage

The first photograph appears to show British army officers checking a RAF lorry. The second appear to be officers from 207 Squadron. Their Great War medal ribbons are clearly visible.

post-6480-1225402227.jpg

post-6480-1225402297.jpg

Any chance of a close up of the mosque?

Heid the Ba,

thank you for your observations on the photographs, much appreciated. Here is a different view of what may be the same mosque.

Simon.

post-6480-1225403220.jpg

35 and 52 could be the same mosque, but 54 is Haghia Sophia. It is an Orthodox church converted to a mosque with the addition of four minarets rather than built as a mosque.

55 does look like the Sultan's Gate at Dolmabahce.

18 lower is annoying me because I can't remember which fort it is and I can't find a picture of it anywhere. It is an old Byzantine one built before the siege in 1453 but I can't place it.

Happy to help high wood, I knew my Byzantine history degree would come in useful one day. :D

Sorry, I've been away for a while...

Thanks for all the suggestions; and don't worry about "hijacking" the thread, high wood -- I'll be interested to take a look at those photos myself!

High Wood the blue jobs seem to be ignoring this. It might be worth a link in the "War in the Air" subforum.

Psychic Cabbage, as someone said in the first thread I posted in, the digressions are sometimes as interesting as the the OP.

Heid tha ba' or may I call you Heid?

thanks for your suggestion. I have posted a couple of aircraft / airfield pictures on the war in the air section to hopefully whet their appetites. They should be over in droves in no time at all.

Whilst we wait for them to join us, here is some more Ottoman architecture .

post-6480-1225665167.jpg

High Wood

Many thanks for posting the photos. I saw the ones you posted in The War in the Air and followed the trail here.

The overturned DH9A in post 13 looks like J557, which was delivered to No 207 Sqn in November 1920. It crashed while landing on soft ground at San Stefano, Turkey, on 5 February 1923; F/O W E Knowlden and F/O H J Payne were both unhurt.

I hope that this is useful.

I'm sure that there was a contemporary conspiracy to obscure the serial numbers in as many aeroplane photos as possible.

Gareth

I am a nut for the Byzantine and Romanesque and browsing these pictures has been a real pleasure.

I am wondering if 18 Lower is the Anadolu Hisari on the Asiatic side. 48 Lower has already been identified as the Galata Bridge which looks very little changed today. Nearby you can buy baps with freshly caught fish from the Sea of Marmora straight from the fishing boats. It makes my mouth water to remember them.

57 Upper. I have a suspicion that may be the ruins of the Monastery of Studius (Imrahor Camii) because of the pillar. If so it was the place where the relics of John the Baptist were preserved until they were transferred to the Topkapi. It was destroyed by fire and earthquakes. This could tie in with 57 Lower which might possibly be the walls at or near Seven Towers Castle (Yedikule) - the coursework in the fragment of wall is typically Roman. If the two photos were next to each other in the album they were probably taken on the same trip as they are quite close together.

61 looks very familiar. I am wondering if its the arch you pass through shortly after leaving the eastern exit of the Grand Bazaar. If so I would not have taken in the finer details on my last visit as I was still reeling after paying for my wife's filigree earrings.

John

I am wondering if 18 Lower is the Anadolu Hisari on the Asiatic side. 48 Lower has already been identified as the Galata Bridge which looks very little changed today. Nearby you can buy baps with freshly caught fish from the Sea of Marmora straight from the fishing boats. It makes my mouth water to remember them.

Always good to meet another Byzantinist. I think you are right about this. I had rejected it as all the photos I could find are from other angles. The nearby villa is pretty conclusive though it seems to have gained another storey since the 1920s.

High Wood

The overturned DH9A in post 13 looks like J557, which was delivered to No 207 Sqn in November 1920. It crashed while landing on soft ground at San Stefano, Turkey, on 5 February 1923; F/O W E Knowlden and F/O H J Payne were both unhurt.

I'm sure that there was a contemporary conspiracy to obscure the serial numbers in as many aeroplane photos as possible.

Gareth

Gareth,

many thanks for your input. Heid the Ba's suggestion is already paying dividends. The original album is uncaptioned and you have managed to provide a location and a date for an otherwise unidentifed photograph. Not sure about the conspiracy theory though as these photographs were taken by a member of the squadron for his family album.

In another post the registration number H1682 is clearly visible on a crashed aircraft.

Simon.

Some more 207 Squadron photographs. Air 27/1233 records that in February 1923, "Five aircraft were fitted with new auxiliary tanks. There was no little disatisfaction by pilots and air observers owing to the excessive weight and bad visibility of the aircraft. There were two forced landings owing to the adaptor cock on the water pump casing working loose. Two more aircraft were severely damaged on landing".

post-6480-1225749474.jpg

post-6480-1225749526.jpg

Simon

I was joking about my conspiracy theory. It's just that one can't help but notice how often someone is standing in front of part or all of an aeroplane's serial number in photographs, or that the photo is taken from an angle that makes the serial invisible. It's just one of the things sent to try amateur historians.

H1682 is a Bristol Fighter, and I think that it would have been flown by No 208 Sqn RAF, who operated from San Stefano from 28 September 1922 to 26 September 1923, when they moved to Ismailia in Egypt. The other RAF units based at San Stefano, ie Nos 17, 25, 56, 150, 207, 220 and 222 Sqns, didn't use the Bristol Fighter.

The aeroplanes in the No 207 Sqn photos are Airco DH 9As, a two seat day bomber/general purpose machine with an American-built 400hp Liberty 12A engine.

Regards

Gareth

57 Upper. I have a suspicion that may be the ruins of the Monastery of Studius (Imrahor Camii) because of the pillar. If so it was the place where the relics of John the Baptist were preserved until they were transferred to the Topkapi. It was destroyed by fire and earthquakes. This could tie in with 57 Lower which might possibly be the walls at or near Seven Towers Castle (Yedikule) - the coursework in the fragment of wall is typically Roman. If the two photos were next to each other in the album they were probably taken on the same trip as they are quite close together.

John

Here is how the photographs appear in the album, sadly uncaptioned.

post-6480-1225828326.jpg

Hallo Fellow Members,

this might be of interest to some:-

saves posting it twice.

Connaught Stranger :D