Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Allied occupation of Istanbul, 1918-23

sykikcabbage

Note the headgear on the Turkish headstone. As was explained to me in a Bosnian graveyard (and I mentioned in another thread), the Turks put different headgear on stones for soldiers, clergy, and officials. I suspect that that is the headgear for a soldier.

The Turks equated wearing headgear with a brim with cowardice, which is why the Germans made special brimless Stahlhelm for the Turkish Army later in the war.

Bob Lembke

I am uploading these fairly randomly just to show what is in the album. Here are a few Turkish warships. The three funnelled ship at the top is the Hamidieh. The bottom two photographs are of the Torgut Reis. (Thanks to Robert Harmer for identifying them).

post-6480-1224281057.jpg

post-6480-1224281122.jpg

post-6480-1224281173.jpg

re post #25 above; The French General Masnou commanded their 1st Division at the beginning of the Gallipoli campaign. He was mortally wounded on 12th July 1915

November 1922: "The condition of the aircraft was reasonably goog considering the weather conditions. Owing to the weakness of the R.E.7 hangars the aircraft had to be picketed out in the open, the condition of the fabric suffered somewhat as there was no dope available. In order to carry forced landing kit as authorised by Wing H.Q. cupboards were fitted to fuselages of machines. The spare wheel was carried underneath the fuselage. Considerable trouble was experienced with airscrews. After a few hours flying they had to be changed, the brass sleaving on the leading edge was found to be split, the screws missing and in some cases the blade was cracked all along the laminations. The average time to change an airscrew was approx 5 hours. Other difficulties experienced by the Squadron were the lack of spare accumolators, the heavy falls of snow and rain, and the insufficient lighting facilities. The total flying hours for the month were 62 hours 50 minutes. The few hours flying being chiefly due to the bad weather during the month".

post-6480-1224417831.jpg

post-6480-1224417903.jpg

post-6480-1224417962.jpg

I wonder if the one of the ossuaries was that at Kilit-Bahr (where I think there was an anglo french cemetery). Certainly an ossuary was concentrated from there to the current french cemetery.

PS - Nice pics!

More 207 Squadron photographs including the erection of a temporary hanger and an RAF ambulance. The Squadron Operations Record Book (AIR 27/1233) records that, "The hangers (RE 7.) were quite unsuitable for the inclement weather they had to withstand i.e. wind, snow, rain and the nature of the ground".

post-6480-1224432262.jpg

post-6480-1224432317.jpg

post-6480-1224432395.jpg

Hello there, everyone -- new board user here...!

As the topic title suggests, I'm looking for any book that might deal in depth with the Allied occupation of Istanbul between 1918 and 1923. It's borderline Great War territory, I know; but I was at a loss to know where else to ask!

I'd probably better point out that I already have Istanbul Under Allied Occupation 1918-1923 by Nur Bilge Criss. To judge from searches on Amazon the published literature in the English language on this subject is very slim, and I suspect that may be the only title, but I live in hope.

(Battery Press was planning to publish Military Operations Constantinople as part of the Official History of the War series; a draft provisional history by Brig. Gen. Sir James Edmonds was prepared in 1944 but never printed, and Battery Press hoped to produce an expanded version in collaboration with the Imperial War Museum in London. Sadly, since the retirement of Dr G.M. Bayliss as Keeper of Printed Books at the IWM, the Museum staff have lost interest in Battery Press's publishing programme -- which I think is a great shame -- and Military Operations Constantinople was one of several planned titles that have unfortunately since been dropped.)

However, if anyone knows of any other books in the English language that tackle this subject in some detail, I'd be very grateful.

From memory C.E.W. Bean's 'Gallipoli Mission' mentions the occupation, though more as a background to their own story of going back to Gallipoli after the war.

Regards

Andrew

High Wood

I had a wonderful visit to Istanbul last month and these images have been most interesting as a result.

#38 (right hand) reminds me in particular of the main tram route going up to the Blue Mosque.

#35 of the bay (Marmara Sea) is excellent too.

They all are, thanks for sharing.

David

David,

Thank you for your welcome comments. I am happy to share them and there are many more if people want to see them. I would appreciate it if anyone can provide any information about locations, aircraft types, uniforms, etc. I would particularly like to hear from any Turkish forum members to get the Turkish perspective.

Simon.

post-6480-1224789979.jpg

The topic of Turkish cats is quite interesting (at least to me) Anyone notice how friendly and trusting they are? Anyone notice the difference from Greek cats?

Bob

Unloading at the docks. AIR 27/1233 says in its entry for October 1922, "The unpacking of the aircraft and equipment was seriously hampered for the following reasons: the stores were unpractically packed in the holds. There were no lighters, stevedores or flat trucks suitable for D.H. 9a aircraft cases. There were no facilities for unloading heavy cases at the aerodrome".

post-6480-1224960324.jpg

post-6480-1224960374.jpg

High Wood, fabulous photos. I'm now going to have to spend the afternoon trying to work out where the Constantinople photos are.

48 left looks like on of the villas north of the city, probably on the european bank.

48 right is a view from near the Topkapi Palace across the Golden Horn to the Galata Tower. I'd guess there was only one bridge at that time but I don't know.

47 is the Galata Tower from the Bosphorus, probably just east of 48R. (Edit to add: I now think this photo is taken from the bridge in photo 48R)

45 top seems to be looking north towards the Galata Tower from the docks roughly where the ferries leave from nowadays.

38 left could be anywhere outside the very centre of the city.

38 right I agree with Unitedsound I think it is the Mese/Forum area. (Edit to add: This could be on the north bank of the Golden Horn if that is the Galata Tower partly hidden by the building on the left.)

36 left is of something famous but I can't recall what. Sorry.

35 is a view across the Hellespont. Any chance of a close up of the mosque?