Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Allied occupation of Istanbul, 1918-23

sykikcabbage

Hello there, everyone -- new board user here...!

As the topic title suggests, I'm looking for any book that might deal in depth with the Allied occupation of Istanbul between 1918 and 1923. It's borderline Great War territory, I know; but I was at a loss to know where else to ask!

I'd probably better point out that I already have Istanbul Under Allied Occupation 1918-1923 by Nur Bilge Criss. To judge from searches on Amazon the published literature in the English language on this subject is very slim, and I suspect that may be the only title, but I live in hope.

(Battery Press was planning to publish Military Operations Constantinople as part of the Official History of the War series; a draft provisional history by Brig. Gen. Sir James Edmonds was prepared in 1944 but never printed, and Battery Press hoped to produce an expanded version in collaboration with the Imperial War Museum in London. Sadly, since the retirement of Dr G.M. Bayliss as Keeper of Printed Books at the IWM, the Museum staff have lost interest in Battery Press's publishing programme -- which I think is a great shame -- and Military Operations Constantinople was one of several planned titles that have unfortunately since been dropped.)

However, if anyone knows of any other books in the English language that tackle this subject in some detail, I'd be very grateful.

I ahven't read it, but have the following reference:

Bartrop, P. R. 'Bolt From The Blue: Australia, Britain and the Chanak Crisis', Rushcutters Bay (Sydney), Halstead Press, 2002.

• 3 months later...

It only mentions British Military Operations in passing but " Smyrna 1922" - by Marjorie Housepian Dobkin, is an excellent read about events in Turkey following WW1.

It only mentions British Military Operations in passing but " Smyrna 1922" - by Marjorie Housepian Dobkin, is an excellent read about events in Turkey following WW1.

I believe that I saw this book in a bookstore, and skimmed it for a few minutes, and found it, from my viewpoint (which, of course, may not also be without bias), rather sensationally pro-Greek and anti-Turkish. From Trevor's post, something that I had not noticed at the time, the author seems to have an Armenian maiden name. It is true on most any topic, but in particular on matters in Turkey at this period, many people writing on topics in history have very strong personal issues. I do not suggest not reading things, but to be alert to this factor. I have not read all of it, and intend to, but I remember reading in the US Ambassador Morgenthau memoir, a major source on Turkey and WW I, him describing a major Turkish leader, from memory, paraphrasing: "He could even eat well with knife and fork, which disguised the savage nature of his race." Or something very close to that. Not a very good sign of some objectivity.

Bob Lembke

I believe that I saw this book in a bookstore, and skimmed it for a few minutes, and found it, from my viewpoint (which, of course, may not also be without bias), rather sensationally pro-Greek and anti-Turkish. From Trevor's post, something that I had not noticed at the time, the author seems to have an Armenian maiden name. It is true on most any topic, but in particular on matters in Turkey at this period, many people writing on topics in history have very strong personal issues. I do not suggest not reading things, but to be alert to this factor. I have not read all of it, and intend to, but I remember reading in the US Ambassador Morgenthau memoir, a major source on Turkey and WW I, him describing a major Turkish leader, from memory, paraphrasing: "He could even eat well with knife and fork, which disguised the savage nature of his race." Or something very close to that. Not a very good sign of some objectivity.

Bob Lembke

I dont think anyone comes out of this book well, especially the British and Americans, as ever in the final analysis it was all about oil, Iraq was then a Turkish province

There is a little in "RAF Operations 1918-1938" Chaz Bowyer. It seems a number of RAF squadrons were quite busy between the World Wars.

I have an album of original photographs taken by an RAF officer during the occupation. I can post them if anyone is interested.

Hi High Wood,

I would be very much interested to have the photos if you could? If you may, please send message to my personal email ..

thanks in advance

dogan

Hi High Wood,

I would be very much interested to have the photos if you could? If you may, please send message to my personal email ..

thanks in advance

dogan

I will post them on the Forum if the Psychic Cabbage doesn't mind his thread being hijacked. It will take me a day or so to photograph them.

Simon.

I have managed to photograph a few but there are too many to post on the Forum, (over 100) individual photographs. Some are scenes of Constantinople and there are post-war scenes of Gallipoli. Most relate to 207 Squadron RAF and feature a large number of crashed aircraft and workshop scenes. There are a few tourist type scenes, individual street sellers, views, etc, and the odd battleship. I am happy to post them if people are interested, if not let me know. The two senior officers in the lower photograph might be Lt Gen Sir Charles H. Harrington K.C.B., D.S.O. and Group Captain Peregrine Foebes Morant Fellowes. D.S.O.

post-6480-1223922841.jpg

post-6480-1223922931.jpg

Simon,

Don't worry about the response [or lack thereof]

I think that we're all struck dumb with jealousy that you've got "an album of original photographs taken by an RAF officer during the occupation"

Keep posting - we're ALL interested

with best regards

Michael

Now #20 is really fascinating

Was that the French cemetery at the old fort before they moved/concentrated their burials to the present site

It certainly looks like 'V' Beach in the immediate background

Simon,

Don't worry about the response [or lack thereof]

I think that we're all struck dumb with jealousy that you've got "an album of original photographs taken by an RAF officer during the occupation"

Keep posting - we're ALL interested

with best regards

Michael

Michael,

thank you for that. I was a little worried about hijacking the thread. As to the photograph album, it is a little the worse for wear and sadly uncaptioned. I was rather hoping that somebody might be able to add a few comments about the locations, aircraft, Turkish uniforms, etc.

Simon.

post-6480-1224278595.jpg

post-6480-1224278644.jpg

I think that post 20 may be of the French cemetery at the old fort. Another picture has the name Ossuaire Massnou on it but I had no luck when I googled it.

post-6480-1224278903.jpg

post-6480-1224278968.jpg