Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Aldridge

Guest Moll

I am trying to trace information on my Grandfather Albert Aldridge who served in The Easter Rising, with The Sherwood Foresters. I dont have any info at all on him, no number, medals (as far as I know) and no pay book......nothing. I seem to be going round in circles. Is there not a site where all men are listed? I know that the list would go on for ever, but I will trawl through anything to get some answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Hello Moll,

I did a medal index search for your name on the PRO website and I found an Albert E Aldridge of the Notts & Derby reg, service number 94062. If you pay £3 the PRO will send you a copy of the card which will tell you the medals he was entitled to.There are full details on their website If you go on the forum main site The Long Long Trail there is a lot of info on how to search for a soldiers details

good luck

Lesley

Hi Moll

Both the 2/7th and 2/8th Battalions, Notts & Derby Regt. served in Dublin during the Easter Uprising of 1916. Both of these battalions then proceeded to France in February 1917. The '1916 Rebellion Handbook' by Declan Kiber (Pub. Mourne River Press, 1998) contains various mentions of the Notts & Derby Territorials in Ireland. I would also recommend taking a look at the Nottingham Evening Post from this period; from memory, I seem to remember there being numerous articles on the Dublin Uprising, especially as local soldiers were involved.

The medal card index's held at the PRO are also on-line now for 'A' and 'B'; I've had a quick search and can only find one Albert Aldridge:

Private, 94062 Albert E Aldridge, Notts & Derby Regt.

You could also try and obtain a copy of his service papers from the PRO, providing they weren't part of the 40% destroyed by enemy air action in 1940.

Hope this helps.

Ed Matthews