Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British POWs

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Can anyone tell me if there is a register or documentation available, PRO or otherwise, listing all British other ranks who were taken prisoner by the Germans?

Many thanks,

Ian

Geneva does have a number of listrs relating to P.O.W.'s but I believe they do not hold all records. I was looking for a list from May 1916 and I was told that the lists from 1916 are fragmented and earlier ones are not available in many cases.

You should also check the IWM and other archives in the UK. I found some details through their records as well.

Ralph

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ralph,

Many thanks. The problem I have is that one of my great-uncles was a prisoner (I have a copy of the letter the King sent to returning POWs) but I don't know which one it applied to. I have tried the PRO, but none of their personal records exist; I have checked the absent voters roll for their area but two of them are not registered (there are some entries which number unit and in capitals after POW). Hence the problem.

Ian

Hello Ian, If your relative was captured later in the war then there is a good chance the records exist. The Red Cross was very helpful in my search of a P.O.W. photo group so that I was able to identify some of the men and eliminate a few whose names appeared in successive lists so that the assumption was that they had been killed in action.

Do you have any details on their service, areas of fighting, etc. It is possible other records exist, possibly photos. Some of the German regimental records I have seen often have photos of the prisoners taken as well as names in a few cases. It might be worth a shot.

Ralph