Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal help please

maryann laxton

Hello, can anyone help identify a medal in the photo below. I'm afraid the picture isn't very clear. the first medal is the one causing me the problem - I think the next one is the Queens South Africa Medal, then the Kings South Africa Medal, then the Victory medal and finally the War Service Medal. Would the order of wear reflect what the first medal was for or when it was awarded?

thanks

Mar

post-23-1077046480.jpg

The first medal is an oddity. The only prospect I can think of from the shape of the suspender, the seeming appearance of the bust (King George V, Field Marshal bust)

and the central stripe on the ribbon is that it is the Distinguished Conduct Medal (King's African Rifles and West African Frontier Force) - which had an utterly different ribbon to the UK DCM.

Then, yes, QSA, KSA - followed by Allied Victory Medal and British War Medal - the wrong way round.

Alarm bells ring that a Lt Col (if that's what he is, and not colonial police?) would be 'improperly dressed' with medals incorrectly mounted!

Someone had suggested before that he could be colonial police - would he have been in regular army at all?

I have attached a full picture of him that might help.

His name is/was James William Massey.

post-23-1077092660.jpg