Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut. Donald Robert Ward

salou

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out more about my grandfather's experiences during W.W.1. I know that he was with the 2nd Bat. Essex Regiment from 24th Apr. 1918 and was gassed somewhere on the Western Front on 4th June 1918 and subsequently sent home.

I succeeded at the weekend in downloading a War Diary (WO/95 series) from the National Archives website which corresponded to when he was in the Gloucestershire Regiment (earlier on in the war and before he was transferred). Don't ask me how, because I haven't been able to repeat this since! So in desperation, I'm hoping and praying that someone out there has the War Diaries for the 2nd Bat. Essex for these dates - unfortunately I don't know which Brigade he was in.

Here's hoping someone can help.

Sarah

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum,

I can't help you directly but here's a link to the war diary for June 1918 (WO 95/1505)

Also a forum search gives a few relevant posts where you could make enquiries click here and here

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon

Just wanted to say a BIG THANKYOU for the link to the War Diary for June 1918. I paid my £3.50 and downloaded it. My grandfather's name appears among 4 pages on three occasions.

Can you or anyone else tell me what F.A. means? For example, it says on 5.06.18 "/Lieut D.R. Ward to F.A.". Is it something to do with Field Hospital? Surely, it would say F.H. if that was the case?

Anyway, thanks once again Jon. I am fitting the jigsaw pieces together and it is not only of enormous interest to me, but also to my father who will be 80 on Saturday. He knows very little about his father's experiences in the trenches and all these various strands of evidence will help him to better understand why his father could not face talking about his time on the Western Front.

Cheers

Sarah

Could be Field Ambulance. If you click on the link to the parent site, 1914-1918, at the head of this page, then on 'search' and insert 'field ambulance', you will get a good account of what they were and did.

Daggers

Daggers

F.A. does = Field Ambulance and is the second link in the casualty evacuation chain. The first is the Regimental Aid Post in the front line, then the Field Ambulance just behind (it is a place not a vehicle), then on to a Casualty Clearing Station about 10 miles back, then to a hospital on the French coast, before final evacuation to England. A man could of course be sent back to the Front when well enough at any point in the sequence.

Each Brigade (of 4 battalions) would have 1 Field Ambulance attached to it to deal with the brigade's casualties, though it wasn't set in stone that a man had to go to his own Brigades hospital units.

Steve.