Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital ship, Basra, June 1918

antonjdown

Hi there

Seems my great uncle died at sea (Francis William Down), 14 June 1918, most likely leaving Basra for India (his unit, 337th RFA Brigade had been posted in Basra, as part of 18th India Division, prior to this he had been in Barrackpore near Calcutta with the 218th RFA). It looks like the likely hospital ships were the Varela, Erinpura or Vasna. Trying to pinpoint which one might have sailed out of Meso early to mid June 1918, if at all possible?

Anton, do not know about 1918, but find here award to skipper of VARELA for 1916 ;

MILLS Tom L N/E Lt. RNR 81L028 Varela

Brig.Gen. W.S.Delamain Cdg 16th Brigd. I.E.F. "D"

05.04.16 Gazetted

In Mesopotamia N/E

I would specially bring to notice the name of Lieutenant Mills, who displayed great zeal and willingness to perform operations beyond those usually required of a master of a merchant vessel.

I trust that it will be found possible to recognise his services.

Sadsac

Anton, do not know about 1918, but find here award to skipper of VARELA for 1916 ;

MILLS Tom L N/E Lt. RNR 81L028 Varela

Brig.Gen. W.S.Delamain Cdg 16th Brigd. I.E.F. "D"

05.04.16 Gazetted

In Mesopotamia N/E

I would specially bring to notice the name of Lieutenant Mills, who displayed great zeal and willingness to perform operations beyond those usually required of a master of a merchant vessel.

I trust that it will be found possible to recognise his services.

Sadsac

Excellent, thanks - all helps to add a little colour!! Appreciate the info

I know the Varela sailed from Mespot to India in first week of April 1918. I would imagine these ships were always back and forth.

Yes, the Varela was the usual Royal Indian Marine hospital ship used to ferry wounded from Basra to Bombay and carried on a regular service throughout the campaign without incidentalthough she was overcrowded on several trips.

Ron

• 6 months later...
Hi there

Seems my great uncle died at sea (Francis William Down), 14 June 1918, most likely leaving Basra for India (his unit, 337th RFA Brigade had been posted in Basra, as part of 18th India Division, prior to this he had been in Barrackpore near Calcutta with the 218th RFA). It looks like the likely hospital ships were the Varela, Erinpura or Vasna. Trying to pinpoint which one might have sailed out of Meso early to mid June 1918, if at all possible?

Hi antonjdown,

Probably not a great help......... but might narrow down the Erinpura's movements a bit.

My father Thomas Arthur Smith (ASC MT) was admitted to hospital at Basra 30-12-17.

He was then invalided to India via HS Erinpura on 9-1-18.

He was in Keti Camp Hospital on 28-1-18.

Happy New Year

Peter

Check hospital ship logbooks held by the National Archives - searchable online. You are right about the 4 ships referred to as specializing in evacs back to India especially from Mesop.

John

Toronto