Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Different regiments

Guest hupfield

I have been researching the first world war for a school project and have been finding out about a relative of mine who died in action. I have discovered that he served with Devonshire Regiment , 1st Battalion, Somersetshire Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) and 10th Battalion Welsh Regiment then transferred to the 11th Essex. Why would he have been in so many different regiments?

Guest Jed B.W. Johns I

No one knows for sure, but it probably because he was in danger or needed to be transfered because of his skills, its proabaly because of the kind of skills he had, and it was that regiment.

Hi, Hupfield

Welcome to the Forum.

A more likely explanation is that he was wounded and, when recovered, was sent to whichever regiment was most in need. Later in the War, the number of battalions was reduced and men were moved wholesale to different units. If you click on the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of this page), there's a section showing all the units of the Army. You'll be able to see if any of these battalions were wound up.

On the home page of the Trail, you'll also find links to some articles specifically designed for school students, that you might find of interest.

As Steve says, post as much info as you have and we'll see if we can help. I presume he was killed whilst serving with the 11th Essex? I don't know if any Forum member has a particular interest in that battalion, but someone may well have.

John

Thank you very much for your replies. I am finding this all very interesting. This is what I know about him.His name was Rhymes, Percival Henry Gillard, Private, formerly Devonshire Regiment 43988, 1st Battalion, Somersetshire Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) 43988, and 10th Battalion Welsh Regiment 33196.

Transferred to the 11th Essex as 43771

Killed in action 28 May 1918 age 30.Buried at Voormezele Enclosure No.3, Belgium.

Hi

The details on him on the Soldiers Died in the Great War CD are :-

43771 Private Percival Henry Gillard Rhymes

11th Battalion Essex Regiment

Killed in Action, France & Flanders 28/05/1918

Born: South Milton, Devon

Enlisted : Newton Abbot

Residence : Alphington, Devon

Formerly 43988 Devonshire Regiment.

Steve

Hupfield,

Do you know the dates that he was with the various units?

I am researching 1st SomLI and may be able to give you some more detailed info on what they were doing at a given time - but it was a long war and without more information it will be difficult to help.

Often soldiers that were injured were sent to different regiments when they returned to active duty. This seems to have been particularly prevalent towards the end of the war.

Brendon.