Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mule Ship ... and Montazah

Archer

Don't know if this fits here. But here goes

I have a very useful MIC - it gives details of an RAMC officer's postings. He spent the whole of his war in Egypt, it seems.

The first entry appears to be

M.O. [MEDICAL OFFICER] attd [attached] Mule Ship Anglo Saxon.

The second is

N... Conv [Convalescent] Hosp [Hospital] Montazah

Does anyone here know more about the Anglo-Saxon and the Convalescent Hospital at Montazah ??

Thanks

William

post-3636-1213738314.jpg

William

This post might help:

The Palace, or rather group of mansions, at Montazah near Alexandria had been lent by the Sultan of Egypt and a convalescent depot created, where mainly Australian patients could be housed which alone took over a thousand patients.

It does help, greatly ! Thank you.

But it seems we forumites know less about mule ships !! :D

William

Lovely ... thank you.

Your nudge led me to the Armenian, and from the Armenian I found the Anglo-Californian, also a horse transport. But I'm turning up a blank at the Anglo-Saxon ...

Any more nudges ... ?? :D

Belay that thought.

I have just discovered that Captain Stanley Lord, formerly master of the Californian, was hired by Lawther, Latta (Nitrate Producers Steam Ship Company) early in 1913, and ...

"appointed Master of the Anglo Saxon. During the early part of World War I, Lord supervised the transport of horses for the war effort between the US and France. He had gained experience in this type of transport years earlier during the Boer War. For his efforts, he was commended by both French and American authorities. In 1915, he was transferred to the command of the Anglo Patagonian."

See http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/calif...n-incident.html

Cant quite read the MIC? Nor could I.

It reads No 7 Conv [Convalescent] Hosp [Hospital] Montazah

It's taken me quite some time to track down references to British Red Cross Convalescent Hospital No. 7 - but at last it's done !!