Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A hero in the family?

Liz M

Hello

I've been diligently researching the history of one of my relatives who died in 1917. This research led me to the National Archives last week and the unearthing of the 47HAG's (193 seige) war diaries.

I wanted to know if my James Baskott had been mentioned - he was a rare being, started at gunner, had various promotions and then went to cadet school and became a 2nd Lieut.

the diary extract reads thus:

Place: Ypres Canal Bank, 10th December 1917.

'While in action 2Lieut. BASKOTT though wounded endeavoured to put out some blazing cartridges which had been hit by an enemy shell, assisted by Sergeant Arrowsmith and Acting Bombardier Tait. Another shell burst near by wounding all three. (Lieut. BASKOTT succumbing to his wounds early next morning). But for the promptitude and devotion to duty shown by this officer and NCO's the fire would have reach a large pile of 80 cartridges.'

I am so proud I wanted to share this!

Liz

I think it is great that you have found out so much information

Caroline

Did you know he was awarded the MM?

Donnie

Hi Donnie

Yes I did, I have his medal card but cannot find out what the MM was awarded for, that's my next challenge!

Liz

• 1 month later...

Wow what a description! Have you checked the London Gazette to see if it resulted in being taken further, such as a Military Cross or Mention in Despatches?

What a great bit of research, you must be very proud of him. Does the War Diary give you a Map Reference for the battery? If it does, then I am sure a forum member will be able to send you a extract copy of the map, and if you visit Ieper, you will be able to visit the site of his brave action.

Regards,

Stewart