Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home/NOK address. How to find?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I have been trying to research a soldier for a couple of years now, but appart from knowing what his unit did on the day he died, I am not having much luck. There is no Next of Kind details on the CWGC site for him. SDGW state where he was born and enlisted, but so far nothing has turned up in the local papers for him! There is also about 5 other people from his home city with the same name on the 1901 census who could be him!

So far his papers or MIC have not appeared on Ancestry. I was wondering if any pals know of another way of finding out who his Next of Kin were? I know it will not be recorded on his death certificate, for example.

I am sure I did read on the forum that there is an Index of soldiers effects, which may contain this information. Has anyone come across any thing like that? I do not think it is a Kew, but at the IWM or National Army Museum, but can't find any mention of it.

Thank you very much for looking. It would be great just to know something more about him, who he was etc.

Stewart

If you know where he was born and where he was living when he enlisted then try the 1911 census and the absent votesr list. That should narrow your search somewhat.

Regards. Tom.

The 1911 census for GB has not yet been released, Tom.

If he was dead he will not be on the Absent Voters List.

The effects information available from NAM does not give NOK information.

You could try to see if his papers are at the National Archives, as the Ancestry-published ones are, at time of writing, incomplete.

That's about it as far as I know.

If he was born in Ireland or living here when he enlisted you can look up the 1901 ans 1911 census. They are available here.

Regards.

Tom.

Stewart, I echo Ralph's comment. Tell us his name and anything and everything else you know about him, including CWGC and SDGW information, and then we can have a go.

Noel

Hello all and thanks for the replies. The soldier in question was called Thomas Wallace. He was born and enlisted in Newcastle Upon Tyne. His numner was 21/15 and he enlisted into the 21st Bn [2nd Tyneside Scottish] Northumberland Fusiliers. He was a Corporal when he was killed in Action on the 1st July 1916. The CWGC does not have any additional information recorded for him, not even his age! Which would have been a help. A forum member who is looking through the newspapers covering Newcastle has kept an eye out for any information that might be recorded there, but over the last couple of years of searching, nothing has turned up. Also on the 1901 Census, there is more than one Thomas Wallace living in Newcastle.

The one tantalising clue that has emerged, thanks to this forum, was when I was contacted by a chap who has a Tyneside Scottish Recruiting Post Card. This was post marked Alnwick and dated from 1915, which was the period the battalion was undergoing training there. The card was signed 'Tommy' and sent to a Mrs Wallace of Gibson Street, Newcastle. [Can't remember the house number off the top of my head!]. There was only one Thomas Wallace in the Tyneside Scottish at this time, so I just wonder if thats him.

As I say, I would just love to know more about him. He can't just be a name number and date of death!

Chris, what does the Personal Effects records contain? How do you get access to them and how much do they cost?

Thanks for all of your help and advice,

Stewart

Stewart

As discussed on another thread recently, Parish magazines can be a great source of information if they have survived. It's worth checking with churches in the vicinity of the probable address to see if they have any - you might also find your man is on a church memorial. If he was serving with the Tyneside Scottish, surname of Wallace, then any church with a Scottish 'flavour' might be useful.

As an example, below is a transcript of some of the articles which appeared in the Parish Magazine of Prescot, the town whose men I am researching. The little titbits of information against several of these entries helped with identification.

post-1356-1213710654.jpg

Thanks for the pointer, will see if there is anything down this avenue. I have managed to make some headway, much to my surprise. Firstly his MIC is now availible on the Ancestry website, so there is an outside chance that his address may be on the back of it. I will not be able to find out until Thursday though, as I can access the site for free in the local library.

The second thing I have found is a website called North East Memorial Project. It is fully searchable, so I tried a search using Wallace and Newcastle. I found a memorial at St. Ann's on Gibson Street which lists both Thomas Wallaces's. I then search the CWGC site and found one with NOK details, so it looks very probable the other is the one I am researching.

This would make him the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Wallace. In 1901 they lived at 46 Gibson Street, and by Oct 1914 they were at 17 Gibson Street [same address as the Postcard I mentioned!]

I will now try and find out if there is a Church magazine.

Thanks everyone so far for all of your help and advice.

Regards,

Stewart

No such luck, mate

post-1356-1213713335.jpg

Sorry to disappoint when you seemed to be on an up but although his MIC is on ancestry afraid no address.

Beaten to the info on MIC

Thomas Wallace 1901 Census Son of James Wallace And Janet both born in Scotland -most of family also but not Thomas living 6 Railway Cottages Tweedmouth Northumberland Parish of St Bartholowmew.

Maybe the parish church might have details?

Caroline

Hello,

Thanks for the image of his MIC. I thought it would be too good to be true if his address was on the back! Still it is nice to see it in colour. As I mentioned, I have found 4 Thomas Wallace's in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Soldiers Died give this as his place of Birth and enlistment. The only connection I have found with Gibson Street, is from the information found on the Postcard, I mentioned [which my or may not have been sent by him, but it does fit the known facts]

I think the church magazine my hold the answer.

Thank you all for your help and advice,

Stewart

check the genral registry office [g.r.o ] for local marriges for anyone with that name, this will give you an address if married in a church check baptism registers between marrige and date of death this will cover any children born and will usually have a place of residence. you could also check the probate indexs if casualty had a will as this will also give you an address good luck with your search

Thanks for the pointers Izzy, I have searched a transcribed list of marriges for his Parish from 1900 to 1916, but he is not there, but a wider search might turn something up.

Who is likely to have the Probate Indexs? I wonder if they can be search online?

Regards,

Stewart

probate indexes are usually kept in local record offices or city libarys your best checking year of death + one. i once found a casualty from the lusitania he left his wife £ 2.00 in a will so you may find something.

Thanks Izzy, it is worth a try. I do know if he came from Gibson Street, he would have lived in cheap working class housing. It was also an area where people did move about a bit, if they managed to find cheaper rent agreements. He may still have had a will, though. Would army wills be included in the Probate index?

Regards,

Stewart

no idea on soldiers wills i think these were something different. the probate indexes usually give place of death sometimes you strike lucky and get gems like casualty clearing stations. home address how much [in will] and to whome.researching one of my casualtys [an officer] i had an eyewitness account to say the person had seen the deceased blown to bits. this was included with the will to prove death. i would check him myself but sodds law liverpool record office is shut for stocktaking for the next couple of weeks.

Stewart,

Have you been in touch with Graham Stewart who is on the forum.

He wrote the book on the Tyneside Scottish some years ago.

According to Graham's list at the back of the book there was only one Thomas Wallace served with the 2nd Btn and he is your man, 21/15 Corporal in what appears to be 'A' company. Unfortunately there is no address by his name as there is with some of the others.

However since the book was published a while ago there may have been other records found.

Graham could probably give you info from his service number as to wether he was an original member and when he may have enlisted.

It may still be worth checking the absent voters list to see if there was a brother who may have served from Gibson Street or the ordinary electoral registers to see if the family was still there later.

Street directories may tell you this also.

Rob

Stewart,

Have you been in touch with Graham Stewart who is on the forum.

He wrote the book on the Tyneside Scottish some years ago.

According to Graham's list at the back of the book there was only one Thomas Wallace served with the 2nd Btn and he is your man, 21/15 Corporal in what appears to be 'A' company. Unfortunately there is no address by his name as there is with some of the others.

However since the book was published a while ago there may have been other records found.

Graham could probably give you info from his service number as to wether he was an original member and when he may have enlisted.

It may still be worth checking the absent voters list to see if there was a brother who may have served from Gibson Street or the ordinary electoral registers to see if the family was still there later.

Street directories may tell you this also.

Rob

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the message. I have a copy of Graham's book and have spoken to him in the past about Thomas, but he did not have anything else regarding him. Thomas seems to be the 15th person to enlist in the 21st Battalion! Well, at the very least he was given number 15 for the 21st battalion, so he does seem to be one of the first recruits.

It would be great just to tie him down to a NOK or address. The Gibson street address is a very strong possibility, but it might not be him.

All the best

Stewart

Stewart, just a couple of things.

I tried to post this last night but the Forum was not avalaible to us in Australia for several hours due to some internet glitch. Perhaps all or some of the following has already been posted, but if it hasn't, here it is.

You said in your original post that his MIC is not on Ancestry. It is there. I can send you a copy via a PM if you wish, although it will not tell you anything except the actual medal roll reference.

I checked SDGW and it says that Thomas was born in Newcastle and enlisted there.

Next, you mentioned Gibson Street, and a postcard to Mrs Gibson from Alnwick in 1915.

I have checked the 1901 census. Out of the likely Thomases based on age and birthplace, only one Thomas Wallace, aged 9 was living at 45 Gibson Street, son of a widow Mary Jane Wallace aged 37. This does suggest that this could be the Thomas who sent the postcard. However, this does not mean that he was the one killed.

Finally however, I note that his regimental number was 21/15. I am probably way out of my depth here, but based on the table of enlistments in the Tyneside Irish battalions in the book by John Sheen, the number 21/15 suggests to me that Thomas was one of the original enlistments in 21st Battalion. I don't know whether John Sheen's book on the Tyneside Scottish has similar lists, but it worth a try. John gives addresses where he has been able to find them from his extensive research.

Both John Sheen and Graham Stewart are experts on the Tyneside battalions, so may I suggest that you contact them by PM if they don't pick up your post? Someone else who has the book "Tyneside Scottish" may also be able to help.

If you want the medal card or more details from the census, please PM me with your direct e-mail address.

Noel

Noel you are correct that his MIC is now on Ancestry, if you see above, you will see an image of it. However, the last time I had checked Ancestry, some months ago, it had not been there. So that is clearly my mis leading mistake.

There were in fact two Thomas Wallace's living in Gibson Street in the 1901 Census, not one as you state. The one you list was in fact killed in 1917 with a differnet NF battalion.

The point about the postcard, which a collector of TS items has, is the fact it is a TS Postcard posted from Alnwick and bearing a date stamp from the period the TS were in Training there. The Card states ' Will be home on Saturday, Tommy' and was sent to Mrs Wallace, 17 Gibson Street, Newcastle'

From research in Stewart & Sheens excellent book on the Brigade, it would appear that there were two Thomas Wallace's in the Tyneside Scottish. One is the man I am researching, the other was posted to the 2nd Garrison battalion and sadly died while serving with them. His address is given as Shotts, in Scotland. So it is most unlikely the card was sent by him. So if a Tyneside Scot sent the card, it would seem the 21/15 Cpl Wallace is the likely candidate.

The closes war memorial I have found for Gibson Street, is the one at St. Ann's. There are two Thomas Wallace's listed on it, but no regimental details given. But given that there were two in Gibson Street in 1901, it seems likley they both fell during the war.

A friend in Nerwcastle, and a forum member is going to try and get access to the Parish magazine and see if any detail are given there. She has already looked through the Newcastle Newspapers, but nothing has turned up so far.

Regards,

Stewart