Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn. Tyneside Scottish {21st Bn. N.F}

gnr.ktrha

Hello all,

I have been trying to research a member of the 21st Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, [the 2nd Tyneside Scottish], but so far I have not had much luck finding out exactly who he was appart from the fact he was Killed in Action on the 1st July 1916. That search will continue, however I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the war diary for the 2nd Tyneside Scottish for this action? I am very keen to know where they were before moving into the line and what there exact orders were, and what the war diary entry says about the attack.

I have Messers Stewart and Sheen's fantastic book on the Brigade, but I would like to read the prime source material. Amyone got a copy?

Many thanks for your time,

Stewart

Hi,

I am afraid Grahm Stewart is in Saudi Arabia and he has the war diaries, but I did all the typing and if my memory serves me right the war diaries are sparce and anything of value was quoted or mentioned in our text.

Pages 91 and 92 detail the Brigade ops order and you will find that they went into the line a week before they went over the top.

Who is the fellow your looking for I may be able to offer more help or direction.

regards

John

Hello John,

I was sorry to here that Graham had had to move. I remember he metioned it was on the cards at the middle end of last year.

You may remember me, I once sent you a photograph of Captain A.S Davidson MC of the 20th DLI? Did you use it in your book, in the end? I have not had a chance to see a copy yet, the local book shops are pretty poor, I only seem to see a good selection of books when I make it down to London or Ieper.

The man I am researching is 21/15 Cpl Thomas Wallace, Born and Enlisted in Newcastle, probably from Gibson Street. If you search my pervious posts you will see a little bit of information about who I think he might be.

I have not tried to get his service papers, yet. I was going to wait and see what turns up on Ancestry. Really, I would like to know who he was and what he did prior to being Killed in Action in 1916 at the Somme.

There is a Forum Pal who is keeping an eye out for any mention of him in the Newcastle papers, but nothing had turned up in the last couple of years. Graham mentioned there were many small photo's of soldiers listed in the papers.

At the moment all I really have is his details from the CWGC, SDGW and your book. plus the possibility of him being the sender of a TS Post Card from Alnwick in 1915, which is in a TS collectors collection.

Thanks for answering my question,

Hope you can turn something up,

Regards,

Stewart

Hi again,

Now I know who you are, yes I did use Davidson in the Wearside Battalion, which in my opinion has turned out the best of all the books I have done. Durham Pals was badly screwed up by the wrong disc going to the rinter and that was after hours of doing corrections to my horrible typing.

One bit you may not know about Wallace he was in A Company, that comes from the Red Cross missing lists. I will scan the St George's Gazette and see if I can get another bit of info for you.

regards

John

Hello John,

That would be great. It would be great to get any information on him. I'm sure in your book he is listed as being in A Company as well. One last question about the Durhams. If you see my signature below, you will see a link to a website I put together about the 9th Bn in WW2. The reason behind the website is because I knew a Spennymoor man who was there. Now, I have tried to research his father's great war service, but more or less drawn a blank with official records. His father was Sergeant John David Williams. He was a Sergeant in the 6th Bn. He was in action during the 2nd Battle of Ypres and lost his leg, and was apparently slightly gassed. He died in 1935. So far I have managed to get copies of his MIC, Medal roll and SWB entries, a copy of his Obituary and burial report, his name on a published list of those wounded. I was wondering if during your research you had come across much to do with the 6th Battalion and any photographs of 'C' Comapny from Spennymoor [later B Comapny in Belgium]. I have Harry Moses's book and also a copy photo of the sergeant's of the battalion in 1914, which is unnamed, from the County archive.

I know Graham is a Spenny Man, but he did not know anything of the family.

Thanks for all of your advice and help,

Stewart

Hi

Graham Stewart will remove yopur family jewells, he's a Brandon Lad born and bred, but now lives in Darlo, I have a few photo's of the 6th but not a lot as I concentrate on the service battalions, although having said that I am now doing a book on 2/DLI.

With regard to the TS I suggest you look at the Newcastle Illustrated Chronicle for the photo's hundreds were published throughout 1915 - 1916. Another source would be the Necastle Journal or the Newcastle Chronicle for the lists of enlistments in Oct Nov 1914. Unfortunatley Necastle Central Library has been closed for at least a couple of years for refurbishment, so it may be quicker to look at them at Colindale. Checked St Georges and didn't come across the number and name.

With regard to the photograph that would have been on the wall in the 6th Bn Drill Hall in Bishop Auckland, I don't know which unit is in there now but it may be worth dropping them a line and see if it is up on the wall. When I was in the LI (V) in 1968 I was in there once and there was lots of group photo's as was the Drill Hall in Gilesgate full of 8th Bn photo's.

Oh and I have just checked Wearside and you did get a credit in the front.

John

Hello John,

Thanks for the reply. A friend who is researching the 6th NF in WW1 has been searching through Newcastle newspapers for information, both for herself and for anything relating to Thomas Wallace. She has been doing it on and off for a couple of years, but nothing has turned up, yet.

I will try sending a letter to the Barracks and see if they have anything. I had not thought of that before! How silly of me. I was a regular in the RHA, and our barracks were stuffed full of photo's and bits and pieces of historic artifacts. Then I served for a year with the Black Watch TA in Perth, and once again the place had hundreds of photo's etc. I can't believe I never thought of that.

I though Graham was from Spenny. His mum lives there. Or was it he used to have a female friend in Spenny? I think thats it.

Thanks for crediting me in your book. That is a surprise. I was just happy to share the photo with you.

I will let you know if anything turns up regarding Thomas Wallace. The post card he may have sent is on a website. I will try and post a link to it later.

Regards,

Stewart

• 10 years later...