Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Battle of Gaza

Matthew King

Hi

This thread has been prompted from reading the thread on the Third Battle of Gaza.

I have been trying to work out how far the Essex Regiments managed to get on the first day of the First Battle of Gaza before they were ordered to retreat.

I have two accounts of the battle

"Perhaps many of your readers who have relatives and friends in Essex units would like to hear news of their boys who are fighting in the Holy land. Unfortunately, the news at present isn't going to be cheery, as ever so many of West Ham's boys now lie asleep on a green hillside in Palestine. Previous to the action which took place on about Monday, March 26th, we had trekked across endless deserts, marching day after day for weeks. Finally we reached a spot about three miles from the town of --------. The latter was a Turkish position, well fortified in many places. Strong redoubts dominated a huge wide, open plain, which gave no cover. Across this plain, against mighty odds, the Essex boys advanced. The leading battalions consisted of many men from Manor Park Ilford and Romford districts, followed by battalions well known to Stratford and Walthamstow. The whole force moved up under a murderous heavy fire from the strong Turkish redoubts, and in spite of the terrible conditions, lack of food and water and exhaustion, not one man faltered. We gained our objective towards evening and, utterly famished, gasping for water, we flung ourselves into the enemy's trenches and consolidated the position. Nightfall came, with all it's horrors. Dead and wounded were strewn on that hillside when the Turkish half-moon rose and shone on that ghastly scene. God it was terrible! Turkos and British both were too exhausted to carry on, and a parley was made to remove the wounded. All that night remnants from an Essex unit assisted to carry the wounded away. Dumps were made for the dead and pilled up for burial. Just after midnight we evacuated the hill, and retired. However, operations were again resumed next morning. The units who were acting as reserves in the previous day's attack moved up again. So the ------- and the --------- went through the whole action again. Needless to say, we suffered rather heavily. About midday I stopped a bullet in my chest and crawled to an advanced dressing station. A camel carried me away from the line, and later, by a series of intervals of a few miles, ambulance mule wagons, camels, stretchers, etc, I arrived here in this clearing station, where I met scores of Essex lads having their wounds dressed, all cheery as ever. Well I've tried to give you as I saw it all. Please tell West Ham people that Palestine is not Holy; on the contrary, it is full of blood, machine guns, shells made at our Woolwich probably, and, well it's not a land of milk and honey. All the boys were magnificent, splendid and I only wish that my poor uneducated brain could describe the sacrifice and heroism of Essex troops. Good luck to your paper. Now for a clean up, a nice bed, and clean sheets, operating tables and, best of all, English nurses, white ladies who speak English."

Pte Con Grange 1/6th Essex

"Claude is a son and a brother anybody would well be pround of. He walked or ran about under fire (some fire too) and was as unconcerned as they make them. He brought us water and ammunition under fire and was a great help in taking messages. We had severe casualties; but I think we gave the Turks a worse doing. we only just escaped being taken prisoners by the skin of our teeth. I had some fine targets, and with two or more guns repelled them at about 80 yards range. We captured all the Turks' General Staff in a mosque."

Pte Harry Warren 1/6th Essex on his brother being awarded the MM

I was just interested if anybody else had any accounts of the Battle or Maps of the postions. I have visited the PRO and currently in the process of writing up the 1/6th War Dairy which should have more information.

Thanks

Matt

I was just interested if anybody else had any accounts of the Battle or Maps of the postions.

Matt

The attached should give you a pretty good idea.

Robert

Hello Robert Dunlop,

I was wondering where did you get the maps for the first and third battles of Gaza. They're very well detailed.

From,

Thomas McCall

Thanks Robert

I saw you had maps for the Thrid Battle so I thought it was worth a chance.

I very interested in the First Battle of Gaza as it was so nearly a success but failled mainly due to bad communications. I'm especially interest as my Grandfather and his friends fought in it and it's tragic that some of his friends died either on the first day taking the postions or on the second day trying to retake the postions they had held the day before.

From the Maps of Official History of the Great War: Military Operations Other Theatres 1914-18.

Available on CD - Naval & Military Press