Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1907 bayonet: No Clearance hole.

findabetterole

Hello Chums,

The Enfield pattern 1907 bayonet... without a clearance hole.. is quite a rare breed... but just how rare? I have several examples in my collection, and out of interest, I should like to see what others are out there. Although the amendment was a 1916 implimentation, it does seem that it took a few months to get off the ground and into full swing.

I'll start the listing off with those I have...

Lithgow: 1918

EFD: 10-14

Remington: 9-15

Sanderson: 12-14

Wilkinson: 8-15, 1-16, 3-16, 6-16

JAC: 9-15, 8-16

Seph

Thank you TonyE. I have seen a Lithgow-1921 recently...

Seph

post-18081-1213625577.jpg

post-18081-1213625586.jpg

Sorry for what probably seems a stupid question, i'm very much an amateur when it comes to bayonets - but what is the clearance hole?

Sorry for what probably seems a stupid question, i'm very much an amateur when it comes to bayonets - but what is the clearance hole?

Rob, if you look at your bayonet you posted some pictures of in your 1908 webbing on the IEWW1LHF you'll see a hole drilled below the locking button - that's the clearance hole. It's stops dirt clogging up the button (which basically could temporarily lock the bayonet to the rifle even when you wanted to remove it) and also lets water drain out to a degree.

Rob... to illustrate what Andrew has mentioned, I've included two pics of Enfield Pattern 1907 bayonet pommels. The first is without a clearance hole (as they appeared before the 1916 amendment). The second pic is with the clearence hole. This latter appearance is how you will find about 99.9% of '1907' bayonets that you will come across today.

So, what I am trying to do with the help of forum members, is compile a listing of 'none clearance hole' examples that exist within their collections, and items they have come across.

Seph :D

post-18081-1213674423.jpg

post-18081-1213674436.jpg

Thank you TonyE. I have seen a Lithgow-1921 recently...

Seph

A 1920 Lithgow without a clearance hole sold last weekend on ebay.... not to me unfortunately but I tried!

Chris

How about an Aussi OA 1940s both with and without a clearance hole?

The hole had only been drilled through one side of the pommel, it had been fitted inspected and issued, I passed it on a few years back, so one of you may have it? It was a good conversation piece though, asking others to find the fault with it allways proved entertaining!

PW

Thank you for the notifications so far chaps. A unique peculiarity has arison already in reference to the Lithgow items. There seems to be a greater percentage without the clearance hole for the amount available.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, there are two no-clearance hole Lithgows available upon evilbay at this moment: 3/1920, 220246439652 = 'Buy-it-now'... 175.GBP... auction end date: 21st... and this bid-on item from Australia: 140240456669 '1918'... auction end date = 22nd.

Seph