Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Bn Tank Corps

Pat Twomey

It may be a long shot but does anyone know if the 17th Battalion of the Tank Corps. served in Ireland at the end of hostilities in France and Belgium? Maybe sometime between late 1918 and July 1919.

Thanks

Pat

Yep, they were in Dublin in June 1919

Pat,

I can also confirm, as I have a County Borough of Dublin Motor Licence named to Frank Nichols 17th Tank Battn. Marlboro' Barracks, date of issue 7-3-1919.

Inside the Licence it states.

Licence 12373 Frank Nichols 17th Tank Corps Marlboro' Barracks, Dublin.

Simon

Tank Corps in action in Ireland in Cork in 1921...

Mark

post-6633-1213549540.jpg

Tanks Corps participating in Victory Parade in Dublin on 11/11/1919. Tanks in photo are "FANNYS SISTER", "GOLIKELL" (A378) "GOFASTA" and what looks like "IKAND(???)". First of the other type is "MALVER(D?)"

post-6633-1213603871.jpg

Someone might be able to tell by the names of the tanks which battalion they are. I don't know if the first four are classed as tanks?

Mark

Thanks Rob, Simon and Mark for the info and pictures. It is most informative and I really appreciate it. Is it possible to let me have the source of the information as I would like to refer to same? Again thanks for going to the trouble.

Best

Pat

Thanks for posting the photo of the parade (or show of strength). It is a new one to me. The four smaller tanks (they are tanks) at the front of the procession are Medium A tanks aka "Whippets". The others I think are Mark V (I think - my eyesight's not what it was). The Medium As were used by B Company, the Mark Vs by C Company, 17 Battalion.

'Fanny's Sister' (A289) is a known 17 Battalion tank, as are 'Golikell' (A378) and 'Gofasta' (A230). There was also 'Fanny Adams' (A351). A possible name for one of the Mark Vs is 'Mindyernut'.

Unlike other Tank Corps Battalions of this time 17 Battalion did not follow the Corps convention of having all tank names start with the same letter, possibly because the 17th letter of the English alphabet is Q. At one time I thought the Battalion's tanks retained the names given by the Battalions that had the tanks before the 17th, as both Fannys (if I can put it that way) are ex-6th Battalion, but this doesn't fit. 'Golikell' and 'Gofasta' also both belonged to 6th Battalion (so should have had F names) before being transferred to 17th Battalion. All four tanks are recorded as being moved from Erin on 18 January 1919 for "special duty". Next thing they all pop up in Ireland with 17th Battalion.

Given that some of the names are a little humorous (not Fanny Adams - she was a murder victim, but the name did spawn some unsavoury jokes at the time) I would suggest that IKAND... might be something like IKANDOIT.

I'd be interested in knowing more about this Battalion's tanks. I've included just about all I know in this post.

Also, Kildaremark, can you tell me which tank in the photo carries which name?

Gwyn

Thanks for posting the photo of the parade (or show of strength). It is a new one to me. The four smaller tanks (they are tanks) at the front of the procession are Medium A tanks aka "Whippets". The others I think are Mark V (I think - my eyesight's not what it was). The Medium As were used by B Company, the Mark Vs by C Company, 17 Battalion.

You can just make out that they've got a commander's turret so Mk Vs Also I think that all the Mk IVs had been 'retired' by then. Actually looking at the photo, is it a trick of perspecttive or are they Mk V"?

What I found interesting in this photo is the compartive size of a "heavy tank" (MarkIV/V) and a light tank (Whippet).

Whippets appearing longer and taller

Fascinating - must go and check the relative measurements

S

Tanks are from front of parade: "FANNY SISTER", "GOLIKELL" (also has A378 written on the side), "GOFASTA" and "IKAN??IT" (Possibly Ikandoit)

Next type starts with "MALVER(?)" Can't make out the next two - too small.

Mark

post-6633-1213809237.jpg

post-6633-1213809271.jpg

Photo is from "The Irish Civil War" by Tim Pat Coogan & George Morrison

Thanks for that, Kildaremark.

The deck (upper surface) markings on Golikell and Gofasta are interesting. White/Red/White stripes on the engine deck and fuel tank of Golikell and the engine deck,fuel tank and cab of Gofasta.

Gwyn

• 11 years later...
On 14/06/2008 at 20:58, Pat Twomey said:

It may be a long shot but does anyone know if the 17th Battalion of the Tank Corps. served in Ireland at the end of hostilities in France and Belgium? Maybe sometime between late 1918 and July 1919.

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat 

See attached from National Museum of Ireland, lt Batty with tank battalion in Ireland 1920 

regards

Stephen

Lt W, Batty 17 Tank battalion in Ireland.pdf

• 2 weeks later...