Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Emhars 1/35 scale British 18 pdr

iain mchenry

I have had this model for a couple of years now and am thinking of giving it a go. I dont use oils etc. I am still with Tamiya/Humbrol paints. I want to use a single green for the gun. Anyone out there who modells WW1 able to advise the closest Tamiya or Humbrol Green that would suffice?

Regards

Iain

Iain, My Humbrol colour chart lists :-number 108 Matt WW1 Green ;102 Matt Army Green; 142 Matt Field Drab. Regards Ralph.

Unfortunately, Humbrol doesn't make 108 WW1 green anymore

They used to do a British Army Bronze Green which was a semi matt finish but they don't do it any more either.

Thanks for the info guys. Would any of you know a good Tamiya colour that would be similar as I normally use that brand? I have heard that their J.A. Green or J.N. Green is good for WW1 Brit models.

Iain

Iain,

I will try and check with a high quality model maker to confirm what they would use, but from debates I have had elsewhere, it is probably wise to remember that paint colours were not so accurate in 1916 and were also prone to change with the elements in which they served, aging etc. From that perspective a green or drab olive that you feel is right may be as good as you will find. Sometimes it is best to think in terms of "what looks right, is right". It's also worth remembering that a paint that looks to be one shade on a full size gun will look a little different on a 1/35th model. The end result will also vary slightly depending what is underneath the top coat.

Look forward to a picture of the completed kit!

Martin

Iain,

The advice I have is as follows:

I haven't found a humbrol green that I am happy using on its own. I use a mix of 30 matt dark green, 75 matt bronze green, 86 matt light olive with a bit of 72 matt khaki drill and 26 matt khaki. I mix a little bit of this and a bit of that until I'm happy. I use an old paint tin lid.

It might not be the exact replica colour that the real thing was, but then unless you have the paint mix charts of the day, is it possible to match the colour exactly?

I hope this helps - though the paints might now cost as much as the kit!!!!

Martin

Martin,

Thankyou very much for the advice. I have 3 of the 5 Humbrol paints you listed, so i'll get the others and give the mixing a go.

Regards

Iain

I see the kits are still available and under 5 quid in UK and about 15 dollars in OZ

Peter