Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Front twin towns!

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

I have seen mention in several books of towns/villages on the Western Front being formally 'twinned' with British towns after the War to aid their recovery etc, e.g. I believe Fricourt may has been connected with Ipswich.

Does anybody know where out of interest I could find a definitive list of these, or failing that could we perhaps start a list for future reference?

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Albert is twinned with Ulverston - birthplace of Stan Laurel! No idea if this was set up soon after the war, though

Alan

No - that is a much more modern twinning. Albert was coupled with Birmingham after the Great War.

To begin to kick start the 'real' list, Biaches was twinned with Leamington Spa.

Wolverhampton adopted Gommecourt.

Doug.

This is strange as I actually posted this fact on another topic here today!

Wandsworth twinned Villers-Plouich

These orginal twinnings were under The British League of Help (I don't know if a list would be available under this name haven't looked)

Pal's,

thanks for the replies and the interest so far, think I am correct in saying the London Borough of Islington 'twinned' with Arras!

Regards

Scottie.

Caroline,

googled The British League of Help but did not find anything on it!

Regards,

Scottie.

Michel K should be able to help as he works at the mayors pad in Fleurbaix.

This would be for more recent twinnings though & ,for me at least,more interesting for perhaps future Anglo Fr. Be. meets.

I think Harrow is twin to Douai.Both within a 10 minute drive from my 2 barraque's.

Albert is twinned with Ulverston - birthplace of Stan Laurel! No idea if this was set up soon after the war, though

Alan

Alan.............Having spent my youth growing up in a village close to Ulverston & being an Ulverston Victoria High School old boy, I can clarify that the twinning with Albert wasn't Great War related (if I recall correctly it was twinned in the late 1970's)...............Also please don't mention SL or the Jefferson boy as we called him. When I first left home, I rented a flat (well a room really) which was situated in close proximity to the Laurel & Hardy museum. There's nothing like being woken up on a Sunday morning to an continuiously looped commentary of Laurel & Hardy music.

No mention of comedians or spurious recent pairings this time - but wasn't Serre adopted by Sheffield?

Alan

Alan

Modern arrangement not Great War related.

Albert-Birmingham

Caroline,

googled The British League of Help but did not find anything on it!

Regards,

Scottie.

You won't. Very shadowy outfit. Times search reveals only a small amount of info

Serre – Sheffield (also Bapaume and Puisieux)

Albert - Birmingham

Colincamps - Burnley

Peronne- Blackburn

Foncquevillers - Derby

Carnoy – Swansea

Lesboeufs and Morval - Canterbury

Hebuterne – Evesham

Grandcourt - Stourbridge

Beaumont Hamel - Winchester

Morlancourt- Folkestone

Thiepval – Tonbridge

Combles and Flers- Portsmouth

Montauban - Maidstone

Gommecourt- Wolverhampton

Fricourt – Ipswich

Briaches – Leamington Spa

Guillemont – Hornsey

Courcellete – Brighouse

La Boiselle and Ovillers - Gloucester

Mametz - Llandudno

Southampton some help for communes of Martinpuich and Gueudecourt.

Cirencester – Ville and Passel adopted c1920

Bray-sur-Somme and Eastbourne

Carnoy - Swansea is spot on though I have not come across any detailed references to it. I'll have to trawl the council minutes when I get a chance.

Pte (?) Norris of the Swansea Battalion wrote in 1936 of Mametz Wood and its associated actions: 'Did not the slaughter house on the side of the slope along the sunken road leave any impression on the mind? The picture on the hill along the old German line behind Carnoy is worth a place in the perpetual memory of one who fought that day'.

He recalled with evident pride that on 10 July 1916 - after several unsuccessful attacks on Mametz Wood - the Swansea Battalion (amongst others) finally got into the wood: 'Tears of pride collected around my eyes when a blacked and limping soldier informed me "The boys are in" '!

Bernard

I Think Givenchy and Liverpool.

Michel

Alan "Jack" Tucker has been attacked by a fit of modesty.

Pals should look at his excellent article on the twinning of Albert with Birmingham in the latest issue of "Stand To".

Bruce

From memory and I could be wrong.

Blackburn and Peronne

The bridge over the Somme in Peronne is named "Pont de Blackburn".

Aubers - Wadhurst.http://wadhurst.info/wadhurst/aubers/aubers.htm

Vimy and Horley Surrey

The general ‘adoption’ initiative appears to have originated in a shadowy organization called the League of Help. An important meeting was held in the Mansion House, London on Wednesday 30 June 1920 attended by Lord Mayors and Mayors of British towns and cities. The Times reported…

‘The meeting has been arranged by the British League of Help, which has undertaken to seek out for each war devastated town and village in France a British ‘god-parent’ community to give it practical aid and sympathy in its reconstruction’.

It was stressed that large sums were not needed as reparation was the responsibility of the German Government under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

"When the Great War was over Monsieur Camerlynck, the hop merchant, returned. However, he was overwhelmed by the number of ex-soldiers who came knocking at the door to see the old house again, and put it up for sale. In 1929 Lord Wakefield of Hythe bought the house for £9,200 and donated it to the Talbot House Association. This is the reason for the official twinning of Poperinge with Hythe in Kent, England."

Pal's,

great replies, thanks to you all, keep them coming!

Alan,

should have tried searching 'adopted' i/l of 'twinned'.

Must say 'adopted' has a much nicer ring to it, thanks for the info on the Mansion House meeting.

Wonder if any of the towns/villages still have any official contact?

regards,

Scottie.

In February 1921 Ipswich adopted Fricourt and the Bazentins.

At our Battle of Arras Exhibition last year the Borough invited the mayors of both villages.

Taff

An interesting article about the League of Help can be downloaded from the Archaeology Data Service-"Worthing Richebourg and the League of Help" by Sally White.This goes in to the feeling at the time and the idea behind the adoptions. They say you learn something new everyday which seems to have been a feature of my time since I joined this great forum .....and to think I thought I had little interest in the Great War preferring to step back from the sorrow