Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Marches WW1

squirrel

Bit of a long shot, but does anybody know of a definitive list of the marches of the WW1

British Army Regiments?

Appreciate that some will be the same today (few unfortunately) and that there were

variations between battalions of the same regiment and all sorts of exceptions.

There was a CD set of the WW2 Services and Regimental Marches available some years

ago but I would be interested in learning anything on WW1.

If I could remeber the title of the volume I would tell you - but it came with a red dust jacket and listed the regiments of the british army (maybe that was the title) and went through the amalgamations - I do seem to recall it listed their marches.

I know the one you mean as it is on my bookshelves somewhere - IRRC it covers the Guards, regular cavalry and infantry but not the TF.

I think you both mean "Regiments & Corps of the British Army" by Ian S. Hallows, Arms & Armour Press, 1991, or New Orchard, 1994. It gives the marches of many of the pre- and post-1968 amalgamated regiments, but some will not necessarily be WW1 vintage. No TA/TF, though, as you say, Squirrel.

Daggers

• 4 years later...

Found this old thread from 2008

With several relations in the regimental band of the East Yorkshire Regiment, I've been trying to find out which music they would have played, so I've just been listening to regimental march music until I'm blue in the face on Youtube (good job I like military band music)

Found a set of videos, that appear to be the work of a 'Colonel', who has a collection of old Regimental March music played by the National Military band, conducted by Stamford Robinson on 78's Columbia label, and here he is playing them all on an old gramophone in different numbered videos

Because I was searching for East Yorkshire Regiment music, this one came up and also includes Regimental Marches of Prince of Wales ' Own Yorks Regt, East Yorkshire Regt, Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt, The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, the British Army Pt 4" If anyone is interested, at the end of this the other parts all come up for viewing. Looks as if each regiment is represented.

Caryl

Also found this one, that may be in the collection above but it was a seperate video

Regimental Marches of the Brigade of Guards 1916 Can anyone name all the marches in this?

A fine old record. The marches were: Grenadiers 'The British Grenadier', Scots ' Highland Laddie' Irish, 'St Patricks Day' Coldstream, 'Milanollo'

Old Tom

In the '60s, perhaps early '70s the RMSM Kneller Hall recorded a fine LP called "Marches of the Vanishing Regiments". The conductor and Director was Colonel Jaeger, who I remember oh so well as the Irish Guards DoM and Senior DoM of what we then called the Brigade of Guards. Cocky little ******, but suited The Micks to a T.

That may date the record within reasonable limits.

I don't think it ever made it to cassette, least of all CD, but you never know. I wish I still had it.

The Army List shows the name of the marches of each regiment and corps, so find a 1918 copy and you will have your definitive answer.

How fine it was, in a BAOR garrison in the early '60s to watch - or take part in - a Remembrance Day Parade, and see the battalions go past the dais to their famous old marches. The local Germans loved it too. After all, we'd been on the same side when most of the marches were introduced. Called us "Der letzte Preussen"

In 1958, time does fly, they also produced Regimental Marches of the British Army with Lt Col David McBain as DoM. Actually 27 regiments including the RASC. I think only the, RTR, RA, RE and Parachute Regiment remain.

Old Tom