Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

International Trench (Ypres) Which One?

John S

I came across this quote on page 118 of Vol 1 of the History of the King’s Liverpool Regiment (Wyrall). The date is given as 10 March 1915. It is attributed to a Company Commander of 1/6 Battalion during the time the unit was in Ypres.

“… along a hedge to the rear of the International Trench to look down the two lines towards the Bluff … The Germans held one half (of the trench) and the English the other, with only a single sand-bag block between them …”

He then goes onto describe how an English and German Officer simultaneously looked over the barricade coming face to face with each other

In Remembrances of Hell (Ellison) quotes the same instance virtually word for word.

Rats Alley lists 3 International Trenches in the Salient but I guess there could have been others.

One is at Zillebeke (I12 a 35.00) which I make near Railway Wood

The second at Wytschaete (O3, b, d) which I make south of the canal between St Eloi and The Bluff

The last at Boesinghe (C 7 c) which I make near Farm 14

From the description (looking towards the Bluff) the most likely of the three is Wytschaete.

However I think the King’s were in the Zillebeke area and not Wytschaete around March 1915 and if so the most likely way of describing the event would have been ‘looking towards Hooge’, or something similar.

I am now intrigued as where this event took place and the original source of the information.

Can any one help me out?

Regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

You can eliminate International Trench at Boezinge. It would take one more month (22 April 1915) for the Germans to get there.

Aurel

Hi,

It is International Trench near Hollebeke, Wijtschate is further to the South

Regards,

Cnock

Cnok & Aurel

Thank you both for your input.

Wytschaete was my thought but I'm not sure the Kings were there in 1915.

Regards

John

• 1 month later...

Shepherd also talks about being in 'the international trench' with the Dorsets in From Hill 60 to the Somme - from previous replies does this mean that there was more than one trench in the Ypres area at that time? If so which one would Shepherd have meant?

• 8 years later...

An old thread, but I reckon this map shows the precise position this may have happened. (between C and X) First map is the right way up to read the comments. Second is edited just to show the trenches and orientated closer to the normal N-up view. All I have to do now, is try to work out who it actually was (if it's not an apocryphal tale).

2KORL-1_zpsklmdfttw.jpg

2KORL-2_zpsgghep4c7.jpg