Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Carrière Wellington Museum

Pierre

The Carrière Wellington museum has been opened in Arras, France to commemorate the astonishing work of 450 New Zealanders who built a network of tunnels between Arras and the German front lines during World War 1.

The museum, Carrière Wellington, 22 metres underground, is named after the cavern where it is situated. Sound and light shows in the museum cover the discovery of the caverns, the military strategy, the work of the tunnellers in 1916 and 1917, and the battle – one of the most strategic of World War 1.

Visitors can then take guided tours of the tunnels and caverns.

About 20 kilometres of tunnels could accommodate 20,000 men. Facilities included running water, electric lighting, kitchens, latrines, a light rail system and a medical centre with a fully equipped operating theatre.

15,000 troops assembled safely for the planned attack in April 1917 without alerting German troops in the front line. In the ensuing Battle of Arras they broke through to the surface, pushing German lines back 11 kilometres.

Photos here (sorry, web site is in French)

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/dossiers/region/wellington/

Pierre

Pierre,

Thanks for posting this.

Can I ask, How much of the original caverns and tunnels are open or clear?

regards

Arm

Very interesting. I am going to Arras later this month. Is it possible to post the exact location and opening times of the museum?

Here's some detail from Voix du Nord:

Carrière Wellington, rue Delétoile, 62000 Arras.

Tél : 03 21 51 26 95.

Fax : 03 21 71 07 34.

Site : http ://www.ot-arras.fr

Good luck, Mark - sounds wonderful

Here's some detail from Voix du Nord:

Carrière Wellington, rue Delétoile, 62000 Arras.

Tél : 03 21 51 26 95.

Fax : 03 21 71 07 34.

Site : http ://www.ot-arras.fr

Good luck, Mark - sounds wonderful

There are plenty of signs up directing folk towards it. If you know Arras it's near the Leclerc supermarket on the road to Beaurains.

Jim

Opening hours are every day, 10:00am - 12:30pm and 1:30pm - 6:00pm

adults 6 € 50.

Pierre

I visited the Wellington Tunnel system two days ago with my wife. I was very impressed with the tunnel/quarry system itself, this alone is worth the tour. I was'nt overly impressed with the guided tour. You go around the system in a group. Each person wearing a walkman style audio guide, playing in your language. You are also accompanied by a guide. As you enter certain areas of the system, the history is explained over you audio guide. I found that the guide accomapanying us was just going over what had been explained already on the audio guide. The tour was in both French and English. As you progress around the quarries there are cinema screens hanging which play film from the battle of Arras. There is also background noise as if the soldiers where in the quarries (I think this was done by the Khaki Chums). This I found quite impressive. I took with me a small handtorch, this is a must, as although the caves are dimly lit, you walk past many signs and graffitti relevant to the caves use in WW1, without any explanation or pointing out by the guide. Some of the wall carvings and graffitti are explained but very few. As some of the aspects of the soldiers lives were being explained there was far too much use of references to soldier poets, Owen, Sasoon etc and not enough from the normal soldiers themselves. There are references to letters from men who stayed in the tunnels but not enough. At the end of the tour the group enters a cinema where a 15-20 minute film is played showing the stages of the battle of Arras. The film is in French and I am not sure if it will be translated. I only have a limited understanding of French but I found the film a great visual asset to the tour, explaining the battle. It would be a real pity if they do not translate it for future english speaking tours.

Overall I would say the system is well worth the visit. Bringing your own handtorch is a must if you do not want to miss out on graffitti/signs. I found the guided tour very "clinical", much like the Caverne du dragon, this is just a personal opinion and others may feel different. I really feel that rather than have the tours in both French and English, perhaps 2-3 tours per day should be put aside for English speaking visitors.

Regards

Iain

Thanks Iain, you have whetted my appetite. I shall be there this weekend, and will now make sure that I take a torch with me.

Keith

I enjoyed a visit to the museum last weekend. At the moment photography is permitted so here are links to some images. Apparently the British/Canadian/New Zealand markings were all in black paint. Directions in red paint were added when the tunnels were used as air raid shelters in WWII.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/...7thmarch024.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/...7thmarch021.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/...7thmarch011.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/...7thmarch010.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/...7thmarch018.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/...7thmarch026.jpg

The image with the wreath shows a point at which a mass was held the night before the Vimy attack in April 1917, and the No 10 exit was one of those used on the night of the attack.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I took the tour yesterday.

I found it very impressive. Perhaps I was lucky in that there were only 6 of us in the group. Isabel (formerly from the Loos battlefield) our guide was very proficient conducting it in English and French.

The 'walkmen' worked well, except in the cinema, but that did not really. The film was halfway through before I noticed, my basic French and its content being more than adequate.

A few observations:

The museum is located in Rue ARTHUR Deletoile. (Multimap will not find 'Rue Deletoile). Its the first left past the supermarket on the Bapaume Road

As stated before wear a waterproof, its wet down there!

My camcorder could not cope with the low lighting.

I did take some digital photos using flash, then you need to be careful not to ruin other peoples 'night vision'.

It takes about 1.5 hours

The museum is totally dedicated to the events of 1917, which is understandable but is a pity.

I highly recommend a visit

Bob

I posted my impressions of the visit on another, parallel thread (perhaps they could be combined?). We too had Isabelle as our guide and she was excellent. The headsets were OK, as you say, except in the cinema where my friend and I had difficulty hearing the English commentary. That said you don't really need it in most places. My friend commented that while it was light enough to see in most places (the lights come on as you walk round) there were a few occasions where there was a potential for slips, falls etc. This is pretty unavoidable given the nature of the site and a quite doddery elderly Frenchman in our group seemed to get round without problems. I repeat my warning that the site is only a five to ten minute walk from the Station Square as long as you use the bridge at the west end. We followed the signs to the Carriere Wellington across the green bridge on the other side of the station and ended up walking for 25 minutes along three sides of a square!

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the tunnels yesterday and I can recommend a visit to all.

The plus points are the tunnels themselves and the graffiti really brings the soldiers alive. The whole museum is well presented with very helpful staff.

However I was very disappointed with the film.

Since when was the Great War known as the 'European Civil War', I smell European Union meddling to appease their funding input.

I may have heard wrong but the BEF was the British Expeditionary Corps, and the airborne photo was of Ypres, not Arras.

What particularly angered me was that the film gave you the impression that the Battle of Arras was a disaster for the British, that the Germans were superior and didn't suffer during the battle. Surely the 9th April was a good day for the British Army, not 'terrible' as the Arras magazine says. The final straw was 'for a two month period the British Army suffered 4000 deaths a day', (I pointed out that should be 4,000 casualties).

I find it difficult to understand that British experts on the battle were not consulted on the commentary for the film.

I was pleased to note that the staff know that there are discrepancies and I am confident that they will be put right in the future.

However overall I enjoyed my visit, and will be going again on my next visit to Arras.

Sean

Hi Iain,

The good news is that the film is available in English, especially if you arrive with agroup (I think 20 may be the largest in one go), there are a couple of errors as Sean pointed out but these are possibly "lost in translation", there is a reference to the Great War being known by some as a "European Civil War", new one on me. With that in mind we may have to rethink our trips to the War of 1812 sites or Bunker Hill as a "Coalition Civil War" in the future.

I have taken three groups down the tunnels now and all have commented on the overwhelming use of poetry. I have passed this feedback onto the staff in an email but an awful lot of money has already been spent so I think it may be too late.

As you said a torch is a must, at the first stand (where those star trek light things are beamed on the wall) behind you is a great R.E. cap badge and the name of a chap in the 1/2 London Field Company, above it the badge of the 7 (British Columbian) Canadians. Further along a memberof the same battalion J Rutherford carved his name. On each of the visits so far I have found a name or badge not yet seen. It would have been great if the focus of the tour had been on these individuals. Overall though well done to everyone who has made it happen, I have another 6 groups booked in the next few months so looking forward to discovering the place further.

yours aye'

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

I found the tour to be OK.

Everything was spoken in English and the film at the end was translated into English via the headsets.

Not too much on the War poets, so comments must of been taking on board!

More could of been done on the personal side, but it can't be all perfect.

One gripe though, the Guide quoted over 45,000 missing on the Arras memorial.....where did we lose the other 10,281 between the memoral and the tunnels?

:rolleyes:

The Carrière Wellington museum has been opened in Arras, France to commemorate the astonishing work of 450 New Zealanders who built a network of tunnels between Arras and the German front lines during World War 1.

The museum, Carrière Wellington, 22 metres underground, is named after the cavern where it is situated. Sound and light shows in the museum cover the discovery of the caverns, the military strategy, the work of the tunnellers in 1916 and 1917, and the battle – one of the most strategic of World War 1.

Visitors can then take guided tours of the tunnels and caverns.

About 20 kilometres of tunnels could accommodate 20,000 men. Facilities included running water, electric lighting, kitchens, latrines, a light rail system and a medical centre with a fully equipped operating theatre.

15,000 troops assembled safely for the planned attack in April 1917 without alerting German troops in the front line. In the ensuing Battle of Arras they broke through to the surface, pushing German lines back 11 kilometres.

Photos here (sorry, web site is in French)

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/dossiers/region/wellington/

Pierre

Don't be sorry because the website is in French.Arras is afterall in France not England.

I was there this Monday gone - must admit never even heard of these tunnels until I arrived in Arras and went to the Tourist Office.

Lucky I got my own personal guided tour from a young lady called Virginie as I was a bit pressed for time and no other tour was there to make up the numbers.

Perhaps for those who are WWI buffs it has more general info than would be needed but overall I was impressed - I had no torch but the Guide used hers and it was enough for me.

Worth a visit anyway.

I went there last weekend, and I can thoroughly recommend the experience. There were, undoubtedly, some discrepencies between historical fact and what was imparted both during the tour and in the cinema film, but these are MINOR quibbles which I am sure the French authorities responsible for the presentation and operation of the facilities will iron out in time. It is, after all, a remarkably new tourist attraction (and, as the lobby signs point out, the small exhibition of uniforms and accoutrements is decidedly 'temporary' until a more permanent display can be established).

Fot those who are overtly critical of the presentation I have only one thing to say; 'What is WRONG with you???!!!!'

This is a busy, vibrant town which is now being recommended as a key attraction in its own right, sometimes irrespective of its connections with the Great War. As such, the people of Arras have no God-given right to open for public inspection another archaeological relic of the 1914-18 conflict. That they have deemed it worthy to permit visitors to inspect these tunnels and underground quarries (and 6 Euros 50 is damned good value) is indicative of both their respect for the past and their acceptance of the present; to be critical of a tour-guide's less-than-perfect academic knowledge of the finer aspects of the War seems to me to be snobbish, elitist and, to be honest, quite rude behaviour when directed towards our Gallic hosts and friends

to be critical of a tour-guide's less-than-perfect academic knowledge of the finer aspects of the War seems to me to be snobbish, elitist and, to be honest, quite rude behaviour when directed towards our Gallic hosts and friends

Strong words. You don't think a tour guide should know his/her subject?

Neil

I visited the Carriere yesterday and found the tour interesting - it has some poetry references but I didn't find them over the top - and our very nice guide highlighted various things (e.g. graffitti) not covered by the audio tour.

The film was in English but we were a group of a dozen so it may be in French if you go in a mixed group (fair enough - it is in France after all!!).

It would be nice if there was a bit more individual portraits of a few of the men who made the tunnels and the men who did the various bits of named graffitti you can see. But this is a personal view and I would not be surprised if this aspect was not developed over time.

I would also like to see the ORBAT on the wall outside the museum include the non infantry units that were involved in the Battle of Arras but you cannot have everything. On that note I am sure that, whilst I did not make a note of them, the Battalions and Brigades they have down as Australian 4th Division are in fact 5th Division.

Neil

Was there on Tuesday and thouroughly enjoyed the tour. I would recommend it without hesitation and I am sure that any discrepancies, ommisions or mistakes will be corrected as time goes on.

Strong words. You don't think a tour guide should know his/her subject?

Neil

Neil,

I agree with to an extent, but what I found was that the guide was perfectly versed in what she had been told to impart to visitors..so maybe the intricacies and finer aspects should be the responsibility of his/her employers...but this was a bilingual tour conducted by a French girl with a good, though not perfect, command of our language and it was totally adequate for the experience. By no means everyone in my touring party has an extensive knowledge of the events of 14-18, and what they digested and understood was perfectly acceptable to them. I don't hear similarly criticism diredted towards the tour guides at Grange Tunnel..the poor girl who last conducted the the tour I attended was rather appallingly interrupted at every comment by a loud-mouthed git whose nationality will remain anonymous and who claimed to know more than her and was determined to prove it...he did on certain aspects, but that is not the point. He disrupted the entire tour for everyone because of the obvious discomfort introduced. I'm sure the Wellington experience will get better, but it is early days and I don't think we should be overly-critical of what is, without doubt, a great experience.

I don't hear similarly criticism diredted towards the tour guides at Grange Tunnel..the poor girl who last conducted the the tour I attended was rather appallingly interrupted at every comment by a loud-mouthed git whose nationality will remain anonymous and who claimed to know more than her and was determined to prove it...he did on certain aspects, but that is not the point. He disrupted the entire tour for everyone because of the obvious discomfort introduced.

I had a similar experience at Grange when I was with a small number of students and we joined another group. 2 of the group continually interrupted with either additions or corrections (not all correct if you see what I mean) until the teacher in me took over and I raised an objection. The young girl looked at me as if I had just saved her life and my students made life hell for me cos I had embarressed them!

Jim

Jim,

I guess that's what I'm ultimately getting at...those of us with a slight bit more knowledge than other visitors to these sites (and my knowledge is by no means extensive less anyone consider this to be an arrogant comment) should invoke a degree of polite humility when faced with a guide whose knowledge is maybe not academic or based upon practical or enthusiastic reading, but is simply an employee or (in the case of the Canadian students at Vimy) a willing participant in a scheme designed to impart some information whilst at the same time enabling individuals to spend some valuable time in a foreign country.

As I said, none of my particular party went away grumbling about the historical inaccuracies of films/photos/info, and they thoroughly enjoyed the whole 'underground experience'; indeed, irrespective of my own views, the one git at Grange Tunnel caused them to use their own expletive condemnations directed towards his inherent rudeness!

I must admit I couldn't bring myself to but-in an correct him, but a number of us, including a group of Canadians travelling together, noticably made the point of individually thanking our guide after Ned Flanders had departed....