Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Statistics

warbuff1

Just pondering the thought that almost 1 million allied soldiers died and over 2 million were wounded and was thinkin if anyone knows if these figures were ever split into number of dead/wounded per County? i.e Yorkshire/Lancashire etc

Wayne

I think the short answer is "no".

The longer answer might to ponder on how you could ever work it out. By county of residence? Birth? Enlistment?

It'd be a bu&&er trying to work out Stockport's - the town being split by the Mersey between it's Cheshire and Lancashire bits.

J

So you won't be volunteering then John? :P . Can see where you coming from there though. How about Regiments/Corps has that ever been done?And before anyone says i not volunteering for the job either :lol:

Wayne

'Soldiers Died in the Great War' were originally published by regiment ad the modern CD version allows for speedy regimental or battalion searches, e.g. the Sherwood Foresters lost 10,686.

Ok cheers Andrew, Will have to invest in one of those at some point. Or find a dodgy Pal willing to Burn a copy :lol: Not that i would ever condone such an action :P

Wayne

Just pondering the thought that almost 1 million allied soldiers died and over 2 million were wounded and was thinkin if anyone knows if these figures were ever split into number of dead/wounded per County? i.e Yorkshire/Lancashire etc

Wayne

Have a look at this link, which does give a good breakdown by country. Not sure if anyone ever went into more detail in this country as it could have been socially sensitive. Might be interesting to you.

http://www.grande-guerre.org/Pertes/General.htm

The author was Baron Des Lyon de Feuchin who did the work in 1924 in his work :

Rapport sur le Bilan des Pertes en Morts et en Blessés des Nations Belligérantes, Journal Officiel, Documents Parlementaires, Annexe n° 335, 1924.

He's buried in my village cemetary in France,(very grand tomb).

Gunner Bailey

Cheers Gunner interesting read and so so many casualities of all nationalities. Really brings the numbers home

Wayne

Not that i would ever condone such an action :P

I know for a certain fact that Andy Hesketh and I share the same righteous view of copyright theft.

Returning to a serious aspect, the difficulty in looking at a county regiment is that it can't take into account later recruits. So, for example, you might look at the Sherwoods and find that for the first couple of years of the war it was mainly Notts & Derby men killed but after conscription came in they could have come from anywhere. It'd make it a very difficult exercise. Perhaps those who have built regimental databases could pull some figures out?

John

I know for a certain fact that Andy Hesketh and I share the same righteous view of copyright theft.

Absolutely.

Does anyone have a breakdown of casualties/deaths year on year?

During the bit of work I have done for the IFTC project the 1918 deaths seem to be as great if not greater than those of 1916 and 1917 but that may not be true overall of course.

Thanks.

Neil

Neil

I've recently been collating some information on my Stockport men. Whilst I wasnt undertaking a statistical exercise, I was also struck by the surprisingly high number of 1918 deaths and, in particular from the summer onwards.

John

Look for the information in the book "Statisttics 1914-1920" of the military effort of the British Empire during the Great War it has all the facts and figures that will kep you going for years.

John

Does anyone have a breakdown of casualties/deaths year on year? ...

post-857-1202305133.gif

Clive.

Many thanks for the info - I assume the figures include Commonwealth countries as well.

Neil

No Neil. Commonwealth dead amounted to a further 198,440 thus:

Australia: 53,560

Canada: 58,990

India: 62,060

New Zealand: 16,710

South Africa: 7,120

Source: The World War I Databook, Ellis & Cox, Aurum, 1-85410-766-6