Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bully-Grenay Communal cemetary

Andy Goff

My Great Uncle, Sapper Gordon Dakin of the Royal Engineers, was buried here. Killed 3rd May 1917

click here

And this was taken in 1999

click here

CWGC record

here

My second cousin writes

I have found a war diary 1914-1918 of 560(Hants) Army Troops Coy.,R.E. this gives an account of the action on the day that Gordon Dakin was killed. The diary was compiled by a Capt.S.C. Carter R.E. who was a former C.O of above Company in 1923. There are pictures of twelve members of that Coy. who fell in the Great War, one of which is of Gordon P.M. Dakin, but his is the only one that is not taken in uniform, all the others are. There is also a hand written letter to Granny Dakin dated 20th April 1925 from the above S.C.Carter., Capt R.E. accompanying the diary and thanking her for the loan of and Returning the photo she had lent them, ie the one in civilian clothes included in the diary. It would seem from that there may not have been any photo of him in uniform.?

link to photo of Sapper Dakin in civvies here

And this was taken by his mother, my Great Grandmother click here

Andy - Thanks for taking the time to post this. I am most interested in early grave and cemetery photos.

Good, I'm pleased to know these were of interest.

Thanks a lot

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for posting these. as you will see from my signature my great uncle is also buried in this cemetery along with one of his comrades who was killed by the same stray shell.

Ian W

see attached photo of Tom Wilkie's original grave marker. It was replaced, I think, in 1923.

post-16112-1200645358.jpg

regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Interesting picture.

I'll dig out some more of my pictures and get scanning.

My expertise on WWI is as nothing compared to some on this forum but I have spent many hours wandering around

various sites and always deeply moved.

Best

Andy

The official card with an original grave marker photo suggests the question: are the negatives, or copies of these photos, held anywhere. I have also read that all the Canadian graves were photographed, and have seen a similar card from Ottawa. Is there a treasure trove somewhere? Peter

Hi Peter,

The card I have was sent to my great grandmother - but from where? You raise an interesting question. There was obviously an official policy about supplying notices to loved ones. I also wonder if the trip my Gt Grandmother made to see the grave was formally organised or just a trip she decided to make off her own bat, so to speak. They were not a wealthy family and I reckon a trip abroad was quite a major event. Did the War Office organise an official visit for bus loads of relatives. How did they travel and which sea crossing as used?

Best

Andy

Andy,

Many thanks for posting the links to the recent pictures of this cemetery.

Peter,

The picture of Tom Wilkie's original marker was mounted in a folded card and protected by tissue. I THINK it was an official picture from the War department after the war but I'm not absolutely sure. There was an official notification from the authorities when the permanent marker was errected in 1923. A photograph of this was obtained by my grandmother's newphew in the sixties and he arranged that through thE British Legion when he was an official. Foriegn travel for Tom's relatives was not an option (unless you count the ones that emigrated)

regards

Ian