Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Lipman

bantamforgot

Does anyone know whatever happened to J. Lipman, I know he was a POW but did anything happen to him at wars end.?

Colin

Hello Colin

Your post is a bit ambiguous...the thread heading suggests he was a deserter and your message says he was a PoW..can we have some clarification please?

Andy

I assume that this refers to Private Josef Lipmann, W Company, 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers, who deserted near Beaumont Hamel during the night 27/28 June 1916. I have not a clue what happened to him after he was interrogated, but if I anyone knows, I, too, should be interested to find out.

Jack

To Max, well I presume being a deserter he would automatically become a POW! What else?

To Jack, yes I would like to know , perhaps someone will enlighten us.

Cheers.

Colin

I agree with max, a deserter wouldn't necessarily be a POW. He would only usually be a POW if he intentionally deserted to the enemy side or was unfortunate enough to be caught by the enemy whilst deserting or having deserted.

Mick

Colin

Unless you tell us wether or not he fell into German hands how the bleep can we say?

But - if he deserted to the rear then - deserter

- if he deserted and was captured by the Germans even though he didn't intend this - POW but liahle to a desertion charge on release

- if he went over to the Germans deliberately - deserter

Sorry Centurion, I thought this was a well know case known to all old sweats. J. Lipmann who deserted to the Germans, as Jack Sheldon mentioned prior, post 3.

How would you classify him?

Colin

Colin,

Not being "an Old Sweat", can you give us plebs a bit more info? did he desert to the germans or just run away and got caught? (post#3 dont say where he went !) and who did the interrogation, us or the germans ?

sound a fascinating story

Grant

Hello Grant,

He deserted to the Germans before the opening of the Somme offensive , after that it is a blank, hence my query.

Colin

Many thanks Jack , I only had the basic information but it intrigued me , your article covers the situation in detail. Would the Royal Fusiliers have any further details or would it be improper to pose the question?

Regards.

Colin

Cheers Jack,

That make it easier to follow the thread !!

Hope he got his just rewards

Grant

If he deserted and handed himself into the Germans and then provided them with material help as per the document.

Is he then a traitor and not just a deserter?

Phil

He is mentioned as one of a number of deserters in Through German Eyes (Christopher Duffy) The name is spelt Lippmann and it seems that there is a file in the Barvarian State Archives in Munich (Bd 46 Vernehmung eines Uberlaufers [iI.R.Fus.29th Div. 86 Brig])

Well found Centurion.

Susan.

post-6447-1200475386.jpg

Just to remove any doubt about how Josef Lipmann spelt his name, at least according to those who questioned him, here is the header of his interrogation report. This particular copy was in the files of Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment 8, but the report crops up in several places in the archives in Munich and Stuttgart. I do not know why Christopher Duffy used Joseph Lippmann. It may have been an anglicisation of the name, or just a slip. His otherwise excellent book contains a number of them.

Jack

The Indian Corp had a number of deserters (38 comes to mind) who went over to the Germans in dribs and drabs. They were mostly Pathans, to use the contemporary nomenclature, who were returned to Afghanistan by the Germans after being used to try and turn POWs.

My understanding is that the more help you give after crossing the line, the less likely you are to end up in a POW camp. I suspect Lipmann may have been returned to Russia post 1917.

Frying pan/fire comes to mind.

Thanks for the information Jack, it would still be interesting to know where Josef Lipmann ended, at least we are better informed than before. I am aware of one or two slips in the book you mention , I did indeed contact Mr Duffy about same, he was very courteous about the matter unlike some authors & as you say an excellent book. Mr B. Moorhouse was another author who accepted his errors in the same vein, another gentleman.

It must be unique for any book of this nature to be 100% accurate, I am amazed there are so few errors in works of this nature.

Again thanks for your interest & information.

Regards.

Colin

Colin,

Thanks for starting this fascinating thread and thank you to Jack and Centurion for filling in (even if I cannot understand much of the German written).

It is fascinating none the less.

Susan.