Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accommodation verdun

Chris Foster

Some friends are planning a trip to Verdun in the New year and are staying there for a week.

Can any Pals recommend any accommodation in or around the town.

Kindest Regards

Chris

Chris,

I stayed at the Prunellia in September and it was fine - although I wouldn't say the restaraunt in the hotel is the best, but there are plenty of other places to eat. need a budget option, the Formule 1 is right next door both are on the outskirts of town rather than the centre though.

Alan

I really don't like Prunelia, food aint much and it's about 3 miles from town. Coq Hardi downtown is much nicer but more expensive too, has added charm of being Gestapo HQ.

However I like St Paul better, downtown, no English 2 times I stayed there, costs less, clean but I hear restaurant is closed which is too bad, it was good but it's close to Table d' Alsace which I really like.

Chris,

I have stayed at the Hotel Les Colombes a couple of times: it is clean, cheap and close to the centre.

Go to hotel-a-verdun.com or contact@hotel-a-verdun.

All the best,

Fred

I will back Fred here. I have stayed at the Colombes many times. Its only one star and nothing to write home about but it is well located and a place to rest your head. It also has secure underground parking. I was last there in September and for a single room was € 45 with breakfast. Two years ago three of us stayed, in a triple room for 3 nights with breakfast and parking for 3 nights and the bill was €42 per person total! To my knowledge the Colombes does not have a website but its number is;

0033(0)329 86 05 46

I have also stayed in the beautiful Chateau Des Monthairons. It is located in the village of Dieve Sur Meuse about 7 km south of Verdun. It is not as expensive as you may think. A twin room starts at € 95 a night (not too bad if two are sharing). It is a wonderful experience to stay in the chateau. Eating there is expensive but nice. But there are a couple of restaurants locally on your doorstep. The chateau was used as a hospital during WW1 and if you ask at the reception the owner will show you the photo albums of the chateau during the war. Here is the website:

www.chateaudesmonthairons.fr

All the best

Iain

Thank you Iain for your endorsement of LES COLOMBES as a p-lac e to stay.

Correction of the data : www.hotel-a-verdun.com and contact@hotel-a-verdun.com. Sorry for the wrong data.

All the best,

Fred

• 8 months later...

I stayed at Les Colombes once again and I was impressed by the clean rooms, absolutely spotless.

The place is run by a charming lady, Valérie Chrétien, who also owns the Saint Paul Hotel.

Opposite Les Colombes, in the Avenue Garibaldi leading to the railway station designed by a M. Eiffel (!), are two shops selling excellent bread and goodies. A supermarket is only a short distance away.

I noticed that the email address mentioned above (contact@hotel-lescolombes.com) does not always work. A better address would be

valeriechretien2@wanadoo.fr

Val's websites are www.hotel-lescolombes.fr

www.hotel-saintpaul.fr

and www.hotel-a-verdun.com

Make sure that you follow the directions to 'Rive Gauche'. The route has been changed, but it is even easier now than before.

All the best,

Fred

Les Colombes is fine. I've stayed there often. It's simple but it has all you need. There's a good restaurant close by (in the same street) called Pom'Samba - lots of different dishes with baked potatoes and tons of food. Right next door to the hotel is another restaurant called l'Odysée. That's good too.

I also use the St. Paul and Cloche d'Or hotels - all fine provided you don't expect luxury. The Cloche d'Or has a restaurant but the St. Paul's restaurant closed some years ago.

Paul - your favorite restaurant, the Table d'Alsace, has closed and is up for sale. No buyers yet, as far as I know.

The M. Eiffel who designed Verdun station is the same as the chap who built the Eiffel tower. When Verdun was an important garrison town the station was very busy and it had to look good, which it doesn't these days. The buildings weredamaged during the Battle of Verdun but not destroyed and they look much as they did then, apart from the peeling paint.

Christina

Chris

If you are planning to visit Verdun in the New Year, avoid January. The Memorial, Fts Vaux and Douaumont and the Ossuary are all closed then and they don't open again until the first Monday in February. Even then the Ossuary will probably only be open in the afternoons, while the forts and the Memorial will be shut at lunchtime, which may be 12-2pm.

And while I'm thinking about it, you will be visiting Verdun right in the middle of the hunting season. You might not expect hunting to take place on the battlefield but it does and you may find a route blocked by hunters for part of the day, so have Plan B available for any visits you plan.

Also, the firing range to the north of Fort Douaumont operates on Mondays and Tuesdays and visits to areas on either side of the range are restricted on those days, even if they are some distance away. However, you can still visit Fort Douaumont but not Douaumont village on range days.

Christina

For those who read French , why noy nou the Guide du Routard. Lorraine. It has lot of recommendations of things to see , where to sleep end where to eat. It costs something like € 10.

besides it gives you lower prices for all kinds of things like museums, free drinks, or a free breakfast in the case of Les Colombes when you show the book. By the way, the books speaks highly of this hotel.

I bought my copy at Fort Doaumont but like a fool I lost it.

All the best,

Fred van Woerkom

For those who read French, why not buy the Guide du Routard with useful information about what to see, where to eat and sleep. The price is around € 10. Unfortunately I lost my copy, so I cannot give further details.

It speaks highly of Les Colombes and when you show the book, you will get a free breakfast.

In other retaurants or museum you get a reduced price.

All the best,

Fred van Woerkom

The Station that Eiffel Built

This is the station from which on 10 November 1920 the body of the Unknown Soldier was transported to Paris.

It has a plaque with this information on one of the walls.

All the best,

Fred