Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on WW1 service in Malta

Tuntun

Ladies and gents, can anyone recommend, or even confirm the existence of, a book concerning service in Malta during the first world war? Specifically, I'm interested in the 1st Garrision Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Thanks

Martin

Hello Martin !

There are only three books about Malta during the First World War.

1. MALTA: The Nurse of the Mediterranean by Rev. A.G. Mackinnon. Published London 1916

This is an excellent eye-witness account of Malta at the time casualties from the Gallipoli Campaign were on the island. An electronic version of this book is available on the internet.

2. MALTA: The Gallipoli Connection by J.A. Mizzi. Published Malta 1991

Drawn heavily on extracts from previously published sources - but with some unique information concerning Maltese servicemen and the island's contribution to the campaign. My own overall preference. It is now unfortunately out of print, but you might be able to find a copy in your library, or through an inter-library loan.

3. Malta during the First World War 1914 - 1918 by A. Zarb-Dimech. Published Malta 2004

A more recent book that provides a reasonable general overview with a bit of new Maltese related information. It is still available.

Unfortunately, none of these books go into any detail about British units that performed garrison duty on the island.

Hope this information helps.

Regards

Wayne

Hello Ivor !

In response to your request, the ISBN for Zarb-Dimech's book is 9993203068. As it is the only book still in print, it is better than nothing. Do keep your eyes open for minor, but important, errors.

A classic example is the author claiming that a picture reproduced in his book shows the interior of a Maltese hospital on the grounds that the bed covers have 'Maltese Crosses' on them ! No reference is given to substantiate this claim.

The picture in question was reproduced from a well known history of the Oder of St John by Colonel E.J. King entitled THE KNIGHTS OF ST JOHN IN THE BRITISH EMPIRE. Published London 1934. The original caption to the picture, found in this book, reads : A WARD IN THE HOSPITAL AT ETAPLES, from a photograph by Colonel Trimble, and comes from the chapter THE WORK OF THE ORDER IN WAR. In fact, the Maltese Crosses seen in the pictures are clearly the emblem of the St John Ambulance Brigade.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Wayne

• 1 month later...

Martin,

I was doing a search about Malta during WW1 and I came across your post, I am aslo intrested in the !st Garrison Bn NF as my great grandfather served with this unit but have been unable to unearth any info, I was just wondering if you have had any further info since your last post, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mick

Hello Mick, I've just seen your other post! I'm afraid I haven't unearthed anything of interest about the Battalion, but once I've contacted the Regimental Museum I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Cheers

Martin

• 1 month later...
Hello Mick, I've just seen your other post! I'm afraid I haven't unearthed anything of interest about the Battalion, but once I've contacted the Regimental Museum I'll let you know if I discover anything.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

Could I make a similar request, should you obtain any information about the Garrison Battalion, as I also had a G Grandfather who was in Malta in about 1915 and unable to find much information on him.

Many Thanks

Paul

• 9 months later...

I'm going to be in Malta next week - its a rather short notice visit. Are there any decent new or s/h bookshops at which I might be able to pick up copies of the Zarb-Dimech and Mizzi books?

Here's the link to the McKinnon book: Malta the Nurse of the Mediterranean