Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medical terms / abbreviations

kinnethmont

Does anyone know of a list of WW1 medical terms / abbreviations used in Field Ambulance, CCS, etc record cards?

I am trying to find out what D A H , I C T , A B F to knee, and A. T. serum mean.

Does anyone know of a list of WW1 medical terms / abbreviations used in Field Ambulance, CCS, etc record cards?

I am trying to find out what D A H , I C T , A B F to knee, and A. T. serum mean.

Where can you find such records?

Andy

Do you mean, where did I get the records on which these medical details were found?

Yes - because I think my great uncle was in a ccs when he died (Caudry) of influenza on 19/11/18. I know a few ccs's went through there, but I'd like to find out if there are any remaining records etc.

Andy

Andy

The info came from a soldiers medical records obtained from the WW1 Pension Records at ancestry.co.uk They were previously at the National Archives and relate to men who received a pension, etc, in my man's case due to war service injury.

I suspect it is unlikely to have details of a deceased soldier.

At that date there were 4 C.C.S. at Caudry - Nos 3, 19, 21 & 49. No 19 was known as the 2nd/1st Northumbrian C.C.S.

Andy

The info came from a soldiers medical records obtained from the WW1 Pension Records at ancestry.co.uk They were previously at the National Archives and relate to men who received a pension, etc, in my man's case due to war service injury.

I suspect it is unlikely to have details of a deceased soldier.

At that date there were 4 C.C.S. at Caudry - Nos 3, 19, 21 & 49. No 19 was known as the 2nd/1st Northumbrian C.C.S.

Thanks. And you're right about them not having any pension records for my man.

Ah well!

• 5 months later...

ABF to knee might refere to "bullet fragment". No?

I'm interested in finding a listing of these abbreviations.

Can anyone help?