Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Extracts from a WW1 Autograph Album

jainvince

I have just been lent an autograph album containing many entries by soldiers who were recovering in Birch Hill Hospital Littleborough during the First World War. Its a fascinating collection of thoughts, jokes, rhymes and pictures plus the odd verse and cartoon. Will post a small selection for perusal.

Bernard

More Pages

Final page

post-23884-1192145084.jpg

post-23884-1192145098.jpg

post-23884-1192145155.jpg

post-23884-1192145181.jpg

post-23884-1192145227.jpg

Keep them coming! These are fascinating!

Bernard

How lucky you are to have sight of this. I echo everyone else - keep them coming.

Would it be possible to add a list of those of who have signed the book to the forum incase there is anything from soldiers we are looking for/interested in? I'm sure people would be interested.

Thanks for sharing

Shellyj

A couple more entries from the diaries. Will be scanning the rest in due course together with a supply of war postcards. Our local historical society will be displaying them at our exhibition at Hollingworth Lake, Littleborough from around 8th till 21st November 2007.

The first is an ode to Scotland. Apologies for the colour but the original's pencil was rather faint. Hopefully, the second entry, (a saucy picture) will not offend unduly. Clearly, this 'Canadian' soldier had things other than recuperation on his mind and who can blame him.

At this stage I have not checked if any of the soldiers covered in this post survived, a task to complete! If any pal has access to "Soldier of the great war" then we are interested to know more details.

Bernard P

PS don't longer too much on the picture!

post-23884-1192198199.jpg

post-23884-1192198216.jpg

The poem above is an extract from Kipling's 'For All We Have And Are'

"There is but one task for all —

One life for each to give.

What stands if Freedom fall?

Who dies if England live? "

Fascinating to see the different thoughts of these men. Thanks for posting the images.

Bernard, thanks for sharing these poignant images and writings. They are in wonderful condition. Amazing to see what and how the chaps were thinking.

Please post some more if you can. They are fascinating.

Susan.

Every time I browse the Autograph Albums (2) I come across texts of great significance so here are two more for you to enjoy.

Bernard

PS posting these as a big thank you for all those pals who have helped me in my research into where the Littleborough soldiers were when they died in Belgium some 90 yars ago

post-23884-1192277320.jpg

post-23884-1192277331.jpg

Bernard

Unfortunately, can't quite read the first one but how movingly touching the words on the second are!

Gives me goosebumps!

More and More please.

Regards

For theose who cannot read the text of the autograph album it went as follows:

To the tune of Tenesee

I'm so hapy, I'm so happy, can you wonder why

I was wounded in July since then I've been laid by

There were lots of others, just like brothers

They got woundered too

But I can tell you we were glad, we've had enough to do

And to dear old Lancashire

Our thoughts they wandered there,

We thought of mother's dear

And dear freinds in Lancashire

All we could think of that night

Was a bed of snowy white

Nurse's singling teacups jingling

All the world seem bright

The shells were bursting high

The bullets flying by

To us they brought no fear

We knew the time was near

When we'ed be entraining

And on a big ship soon be sailing

To dear old Brighty, to dear old Blighty

To dear old Angletaire

ITS TRUE

Bernard:

Just want to add my thanks for posting these entries. They are wonderful and in such great condition. This is what really helps keep the soldiers in your thoughts and memories. We all look forward to more.

Doris

Bernard:

Just want to add my thanks for posting these entries. They are wonderful and in such great condition. This is what really helps keep the soldiers in your thoughts and memories. We all look forward to more.

Doris

Interesting is the fact that two of the posts are from Canadian Soldiers. Not sure what they thought of North West England but it would definitely rank higher than France or Belgium!

Belgium

Great stuff, Bernard

Anyone prepared to do some research on what became of the various authors?

cheers Martin B

Great stuff, Bernard

Anyone prepared to do some research on what became of the various authors?

cheers Martin B

Martin B

Did have a quick look on the CWGC site and didn't find them there but of course some of the names were very popular and time didn't permit a full search. Of those checked in detail none were found on the site. However, other sources maybe able to pin down the soldier.

Bernard P

Part of the aim of our researches is to Remember and commemorate those who paid the ultimate price. From the enclosed extracts Remembrance was clearly on the minds of soldiers recovering in Brirch Hill Hospital. I have there posted them for perusal. Again, the quality of the scan is a little poor as the pen/pencil words are rather faint.

Bernard

post-23884-1192367256.jpg

post-23884-1192367267.jpg

Bernard

These bring tears to my eyes!

Poor, poor men. How could we not remember what they did for us and what an absolute treasure you have the honour to hold.

Regards

Sorry if the clarity of the previous two posts is poor but it doesn't help having to make the poor original of a smaller size.

For the next post, can someone provide a translation? I am assuming its OK so apologies if it isn't!

Bernard P

post-23884-1192367858.jpg